Vermiculite in gas fireplace -- asbestos hazard?


  #1  
Old 06-15-15, 07:31 PM
B
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Loudoun County, VA
Posts: 189
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vermiculite in gas fireplace -- asbestos hazard?

I am buying a house that was built in 2009. The home inspector noted a plastic bag of vermiculite under the gas fireplace and said that it could contain asbestos and I should probably throw it away. The fireplace is the outside-vented type with the glass front, not the type with a gas log open to the interior of the house. My questions are:

1. Is this really a problem? The house was built only 6 years ago, so I was surprised that there would be any asbestos concern.

2. If it really is a problem, is throwing the plastic bag in the trash good enough, or should I really have somebody who knows what they're doing remove the vermiculite and dust from under and inside the fireplace?

Thanks!
 
  #2  
Old 06-16-15, 05:03 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,889
Received 104 Votes on 91 Posts
Only way to know would be to get it tested.
Highly unlikly if it is that new.
Still concerned sweep it up and dump it, no need to call anyone.
 
  #3  
Old 06-16-15, 05:16 AM
B
Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,524
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
If it is just a plastic bag I would toss it. Since the early 90's all vermiculite is tested. However, some idiot may have acquired some old material, thus an unlabeled bag, so unless you know, dispose of it. If it is labeled, you should be able to determine where it came from and Libby MT is what you don't want to see.

If you are concerned about it possibly having been used in relation to that fireplace you could question the mfg. Otherwise, testing is the only way to be sure.

Bud
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: