$5000 to convert wood burning to gas insert

Old 09-08-15, 04:01 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
$5000 to convert wood burning to gas insert

We are looking to put a gas insert into our fireplace and have gotten 3 quotes and all are around $5000 with labor. Does this seem realistic to others? I have a friend who claims he did a regency for $2500.

Regency
Heat Glo
Mendota

Old 09-08-15, 04:04 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 09-08-15, 04:07 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Does seem high but in today's world safety and environmental concerns will trump all other things. So maybe not so bad.

I just put in an electric insert in our fireplace. I have never used the fireplace since I owned the house and never would. To me a wood burner fireplace is a waste of fuel and energy and I don't like the smokey smell that invades every part of the house and never quite goes away. Plus the cost of wood is not cheap unless you have a free supply.

I remember many years ago my father-in-law bought a gas to wood conversion from Sears for his existing forced hot air system. He had free supply of wood and so both gas or wood could be used any time.

Old 09-08-15, 04:48 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I would go for some more quotes. Yes, they have to install a liner, but those usually slide right in.

Ask one of them to break down the estimate into materials and time. We are moving towards the heating season, but not close enough that they would all be booked. Check stove prices on the internet and add $1000 to 1,500 for labor and mark-up (I'm optimistic).

If there is something particularly difficult about the install at your house, make them tell you.

Bud

Old 09-08-15, 06:04 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We paid (IIRC) about $3500 for ours about 5-6 years ago. It was a small insert as they go as our firebox was small, and I ran the electric and gas lines over to near the chimney. So 5k doesn't seem crazy high. Is there easy access to run the gas and electric, or do they have to snake it through finished ceiling/walls? That would add a fair amount of time. FWIW, it took 2 guys a long afternoon to do the install, even without running the gas/electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: