recommend fireplace log

Old 09-12-15, 09:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recommend fireplace log

Hello!
I need to replace this fireplace, see pictures below. Can someone recommend me which fire place log I need to buy? What is the difference between them? The one that I have is about 18 in long. is this the size that I need to look for? are there firelogs with remote control?

Thank you
Michael

Attached Images   
Old 09-12-15, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
What is currently wrong with your gas logs you have now?

Old 09-12-15, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,505 Votes on 1,393 Posts
In addition to Tolyns question there are many directions you can go in.

It looks like you have an open fireplace so your fire/log systems supplies minimal heat into the room but looks nice while drawing your heated air out.

I had a real fireplace and burned wood. The heat was great but the smell and maintenance were a negative. I switched to gas logs which didn't yield as much heat but was a lot less maintenance. Problem is the draft vent needed to remain open pulling out all the extra heat.

Now I switched to a completely sealed fireplace insert with a fan forced blower. It uses a dual vent system so it draws in its own combustion air. The dual line was run up the flue and out the chimney. Very efficient and cost effective to run. Produces enough heat to almost heat the entire first floor and part of the second.

A little costlier up front but a big savings in gas.
Just things to consider based on what you use the fireplace for.

Old 09-12-15, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The gas log set in the picture looks like an unvented gas log. Is the fireplace itself vented or unvented?

If unvented, I would definitely get rid of it. Just not worth the risk of CO poisoning, in my experience.

PJ Max's comments are excellent. A direct vent sealed combustion gas fireplace is highly efficient and usually attractive.

I have been expecting that manufacturers would be departing from the smoldering log "fireplace" experience that has been aimed for up to now. New, artful ways of displaying a gas flame could replace the smoldering log model. I've seen a few of those, but more should be around.

Old 09-13-15, 05:48 AM
M
I think it's invented fireplace. At least I don't see any ventilation in there.

Besides the fireplace I have a gas heater, which I use all the time during the winter. Fireplace is mostly for fun to turn on once a month.

Now it doesn't start. when I hit pilot, it doesn't flame. I see a small flame from the pilot and it doesn't ignite the fireplace

Old 09-13-15, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 296 Posts
If it has a pilot, it likely has a thermocouple or thermopile which could be bad, or the pilot just needs to be cleaned. If the pilot is not hot enough it will not create enough voltage to open the gas valve for the main burner. If cleaning does not help, thermocouples can be rather inexpensive ($6-$12) and fairly easy to replace. Thermopiles are a bit more at $30-$60 but are just as easy to replace.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 09-13-15 at 07:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: