Wood burning fireplace insert and Chimney Liner

Old 09-16-15, 10:29 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood burning fireplace insert and Chimney Liner

I am looking to install a wood burning fireplace insert into my existing brick fireplace with the intention of supplementing my oil heat. The chimney does not have a chimney liner, for a wood burning stove is this necessary? Does the width of the liner need to match the flu connector (6"). I already have a cap on the chimney, can I just buy the pipe liner? Thanks!

Old 09-25-15, 06:50 AM
B
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, installing a stainless steel chimney flue liner is required for a fireplace insert. The chimney liner diameter should match the exhaust outlet on the stove, so in your case a 6" liner is recommended. In some cases you are able to use your existing chimney cap with a chimney flue lining system. A top plate is a important component for a chimney liner system. A top plate is used to seal off the existing flue from down draft and rain, but also acts as the support system for the liner. Typically the top plate will have a collar that will extend 3" to 3.5" above the flue and the plate size is generally 13" x 13". You would have to trim the top plate to the outside dimensions of the flue and silicone it to the flue so you would be able to slide your rain cap over the flue. Make sure your existing chimney cap has a screen/mesh height of at least 10" so you have adequate clearance for the smoke to exist the liner. Purchasing a chimney liner kit is generally the best way to go and will provide you with everything you need to get the job done right. I've purchased liner kits from *************

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-25-15 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Advertising not allowed!
Old 10-03-15, 10:58 AM
H
I would recommend buying a Stainless liner made from type 316 Stainless Steel with Titanium alloy. I installed this type on my fireplace insert about 3 years ago and it still looks great. You can buy the complete installation kits on Flea-bay. There are several styles available depending upon how your installation is configured. My chimney is masonary block with stone veneer and fire clay chimney liner. I slid the 6" stainless liner down from the top and attached it to my stove square to round transition. I then slid my stove into place and attached the square to round to the stove from inside the stove. I believe this is the standard way they are installed.
I also purchased a flexible inspection camera so that I can inspect the condition of my liner and stove connection every year before heating season.
Digital Inspection Camera

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: