Brick / Stone Fireplace - remove brick facing

Old 09-27-15, 09:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brick / Stone Fireplace - remove brick facing

Below are some pictures of the existing wood burning corner fireplace with gas insert - the house was built in 1981 .. I think it is a natural stone or granite. I am hoping that this is a facing and not part of the fireplace structure itself. There is a clay brick rough-in in the basement supporting this fireplace, and the double flue brick chimney that runs up through the 2nd level and then another 10 feet or so above the roof.

To modernize this, I would like to remove the stone/brick facing, floor to ceiling, including hearth and then we will build a book case on either side and put the TV above. We will be having this commercially done with appropriate clearances etc for heat and to protect the TV.

My main question is whether this is likely a facing and should come down fairly easily?? without compromising the support for the chimney above it. It is about 4" thick and again I do not believe it is part of the structure. I would use a small jack hammer, starting at the top and taking it down brick by brick. Can those experienced in this area comment. The fireplace is part of the original home built in 1981, Toronto area. Thank you.

Attached Images   
Old 09-27-15, 03:49 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think that the face seen in the pic is structural. However, if they are real bricks with real mortar, get ready for a lot of dust & more work than you think. If you have children, make sure that they are not there when you do it. You might want to build a plastic bubble similar to when asbestos removal is done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: