What size brush for chimney sweeping?

Old 10-10-15, 09:44 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size brush for chimney sweeping?

I have a single story house in San Diego that was built in 1958. It has a regular straight fireplace in which we burn a considerable amount of hardwood in the winter. In my continual effort to adhere to a budget, I thought I would forgo hiring the chimney sweep this year at $125 a pop and do the job myself.
My son measured the inside of the masonry flue at the top which measures 15" x 7", rounded at the corners. For the life of me I cannot seem to find a brush with this dimension.
Do I need to have a brush which is an exact fit? Where would I find it? also, are there any recommendations regarding the type of rods I use, and what size?
Thanks in advance!
OldFrenchy

Old 10-10-15, 10:09 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not a Chimney Sweep; but I'd go with a square 7" X 7" Brush and several hread into one of those 4' Fibreglas Rods (which I have found multiple other uses for) which thread into one another.

That way, you can move the brush from side to side, and even put some pressure on it while it's near the bottom to ensure that you get all of it scoured . . . . some people attach a brick to the brush to keep it snug to the side.

Don't forget to initially block the bottom with some disposable burlap to prevent soot from entering the dwelling.

When I haven't been satisfied with brushing from the top, I have put my brush in from the bottom, and done a little work from that end as well, I wore one of those paper mouth and nose filters, and some safety goggles . . . . they earned their keep.

Having a mirror available, and a nice sunny day to look up from inside and examine what you're dealing with both before you start, and after you finish can be rewarding.

I have also taken my soot sweepings and creosote chards and rolled them up in newspaper to be burned instead of trying to find some PC appropriate way to dispose of them . . . . they burn pretty clean the 2nd time around.

Last edited by Vermont; 10-10-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 10:17 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use the biggest brush that will still fit in the smallest dimension, so 7" by whatever the widest you can find. I also prefer the fiberglass rods.

Old 10-10-15, 10:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
I'd use a 7x11 or whatever size is closest to 15" Most prefer the fiberglass rods although I use a section of old galvanized piping on mine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: