Wood Burning Fireplace

Old 10-14-15, 08:14 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wood Burning Fireplace

Good morning all!

Had a video inspection done on my chimney in the Spring and turns out the mortar is either missing or in shambles. I am hoping an easy fix would be to put a liner kit in and call it a day. Viable option?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Nick

Old 10-14-15, 08:37 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi nick and welcome to the forum.
A traditional fireplace is no longer an asset as too many people are concerned about the energy loss. The alternative is to install a sealed combustion fireplace, pellet stove, or gas fireplace. A chimney liner for a traditional wood stove might end up being too large for those other options. I'm running a glass front wood stove and although I grew up with several open FPs I find the glass front very acceptable. I purchased it before they offered outside air options.

Otherwise, I believe a chimney liner would suffice, but I'm not a pro in that department. The real approval would come from your local authority and your home owners insurance. Insurance companies generally don't like wood burning appliances.

Bud

Old 10-14-15, 08:49 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. The fireplace is the lower level of our bi-level house. We were only hoping to warm it up a bit down there. Not really wanting to use it to heat the entire house or as a primary source of heat. Not really wanting to invest a lot of money into.
It did have a propane line running to it when we moved in a few years ago. There is no option to use natural gas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: