Outdoor masonry fireplace: firebox design

Old 11-12-15, 09:15 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outdoor masonry fireplace: firebox design

I have scoured the net as well as this forum ... I can find a lot of diagrams, but I am having trouble getting details about the firebox and it's minimum/maximum depth , and what might be the benefits and/or drawbacks to it's design.

I would appreciate any and all advice.

Old 11-12-15, 09:45 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
There are certainly a lot of pictures on the internet and I assume some detailed drawings somewhere. But there are other considerations before you build it.
1. Make sure your design meets any requirements from your insurance company.
2. If your home is going to be a modern very tight one, then combustion air can become an issue, especially with a nice open FP.
3. The location inside the house, basement or above, can affect the performance.
4. Will the chimney be inside the framing or on the outside of the house. TX should not be as big an issue with an ice cold chimney, but listed it anyway.

From experience, I have found the deeper the firebox the better. Also, be sure there is plenty of non-flammable material in front. We found a burnt spot on our couch about 12 feet away from the fire.

Enjoy,
Bud

Old 11-12-15, 01:22 PM
R
Thanks Bud, but this is an outdoor fireplace ... what is your general concept of "the deeper the firebox the better" ... 36" ,more, less ?

Thanks again,
Rick

Old 11-12-15, 01:59 PM
B
Sorry about not paying attention to the "outdoor" in the title.

I don't know if I can find it, but a year plus ago there was a thread with an outdoor fireplace that just would not draft. His was basically just a box, open on the front with a hole centered in the top. There was no space above the fire for a plume of warm lighter air which then gets forced up by the cooler air in front of the fire.

I'm no expert on fireplace design, but a shallow fireplace brings the smoke to close to the front where it can escape. 36" should be fine, with the top of the fire box tapering up behind a front face into the centered flue.

In addition to getting the fire to draft properly, an outdoor fireplace is an opportunity for many added features. Will this be used just for consuming wood and enjoying it, or will the hot dogs and marshmallows be showing up?

Some of my best memories were centered around some sort of fireplace.

Bud

PS, I'm going to keep looking.

Last edited by Bud9051; 11-12-15 at 02:00 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-12-15, 05:23 PM
R
Its all good Bud, and I appreciate the responses ... I will have quite a bit of chimney above the box for proper hot cold drafting. Im shooting for 30" deep box, overall fireplace is 40" deep. It is being built out of white Hill Country limestone and I can not afford smoke billowing out and staining that bad boy !!

It's going to be a wood burner with a gas starter, ... Yes, I very much plan on the chillins roasting some mellows !!

If you find anything else relevant please let me know.

Rick

Old 11-13-15, 04:35 AM
B
Link below with all kinds of illustrations. I also saw many "how to" sites but they were specific to each single design. After you select your design you should be able to find a site with help.

Again, the key to limiting the smoke billowing out the front (at the top) is to give it a lower pressure option, a warm air cavity above the fire. Using gas to start it will definitely help.

Enjoy,
Bud
https://www.google.com/search?q=outd...iw=926&bih=452

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: