Converting fireplace from wood to natural gas.

Old 12-09-15, 12:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting fireplace from wood to natural gas.

I have a 23 year old home with natural fireplace in the 2nd floor master bedroom that's never been used and I don't see myself ever carrying wood up there either. I currently have the room gutted to joists, studs, and rafters for a total remodel and have decided to install a gas log with custom glass doors.

I've done plenty of plumbing and framing, but don't have hardly any experience with natural gas plumbing regarding a fireplace, so have a few questions.

I can't take a photo because I currently have all my old room insulation stacked in front of the fireplace, so I will do my best to describe what I'm dealing with.

The fireplace is in the corner of the room on a 45 degree angle and there's another natural fireplace nearly identical in size directly below on the main floor. I've removed all the brick front of the fireplace, so what I have exposed is the block chimney and the firebox. There's about a 2-3" gap between the block and the side of the firebox. I would like to run a flexible stainless steel gas line (natural gas) through my floor joists, up into the gap between the block and firebox, and drill a hole through the back side of the firebox for the gas line to enter. I'd like to build a 2x4 studded wall in front of all the block (not touchig it). I would install Durock over the 2x4 wall to adhere a finished stone to, but the Durock would wrap around into the firebox a few inches and be adhered to the firebox with thinset mortar and Tapcon screws. (see photo) Does this sound like a legit plan? My remodel will be inspected, so everything must be up to snuff.

Thanks,
Rich

Name:  er_fireplace.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  22.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-15, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I would like to run a flexible stainless steel gas line (natural gas) through my floor joists, up into the gap between the block and firebox, and drill a hole through the back side of the firebox for the gas line to enter.
Where is the existing gas line? Im sure it was hard piped so why are you wanting to run flex line?

You need a gas valve key installed in the wall also..

Permits are needed for this job because of the gas and what you propose to do...

Old 12-09-15, 06:17 PM
B
There is no existing gas line. The fireplace is a natural wood burning fireplace.

Old 12-09-15, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
I have a 23 year old home with natural fireplace
LOL when you said natural I immediately thought natural gas... he he...

Umm where are you tapping this line from first of all?

How many BTU is this fireplace going to be...?

Old 12-10-15, 11:31 AM
B
I have a 1" black pipe NG line essentially running through the center of my basement. Luckily, within 2 feet of where I'd like to take this line vertical to the 2nd floor, there's a tee with a plugged port. I planned on bushing this port down to 1/2" and running the flex line from there approximately 25 feet to the 2nd floor fireplace.

I'm considering G46 burner, so I'll be in the 40-55k BTU range depending on what size burner I can fit in the firebox.

Old 12-10-15, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
you cant use bushings anymore AFAIK. Has to be a reducer coupling..

Also the 1" line you speak of.... Needs to have a gas calculation done for the residence. If you tap that tee and there is not enough volume there to support your 55K btu fireplace then you can starve other appliances os gas..

When this happens you get sooting, draft issues, and CO issues.. You can essentially wake up dead...

Draw me a pic like this with BTU of all appliances, size and lengths of all pipes...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59879[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-15, 04:25 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Around here (NE Ohio) if you convert from wood burning to any kind of gas insert you have to have the flue lined or use SS flue pipe in the old flue. You may want to check with your inspector to see if you have to do anything with the flue.