Fireplace Screen Door Alternatives

Old 12-31-15, 04:01 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Fireplace Screen Door Alternatives

I'm burning a fire in my fireplace and am amazed by how much heat is blocked by the screen doors. I'd say they are blocking about 80% of the heat, so my fireplace is basically a vacuum. I've left the doors open in the past, but don't like doing so because I have carpet and embers have popped out plenty of times. I like my glass fireplace doors and don't want to resort to just a screen or a wood burning stove. Do you guys have any suggestions? Maybe I should remove the built-in screen doors and get one of those external ember screens. That way the heat can make its way out of the fireplace and up and around the external screen.

Old 12-31-15, 04:21 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
As one who currently enjoys a wood stove and has burned wood in one form or another for about 50 years, you are playing with fire, pun intended. Safety is number one, but trying to squeeze a little exrtra heat out of a wood fireplace isn't worth the effort. Since more heat is going up the chimney than is being delivered to your home, what you feel is just a temporary glow of radiant energy.

There are many articles about why a fireplace is a net energy loss and although those that still use them may argue the point, why fight it. A high efficiency glass front wood stove, my current stove, is such a pleasure I would never go back to an open fireplace inside my home.

Not sure what options are available to you, but don't leave that fire front open. As you (and I) have experienced, those embers can snap clear across the room.

Bud

Old 12-31-15, 04:43 PM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Well, radiant heat feels good! I realize this type of setup is horribly inefficient. I use it for the ambiance, not to heat my home. Although it would be nice to feel more heat. If I actually do remove the doors (unlikely), I will be sure to have an exterior screen in place.

Old 12-31-15, 05:08 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I would assume the glass doors on my air tight wood stove are designed to block very little infrared energy, unlike the design of windows. Given that, glass doors should pass more energy than a screen. I know that a nice bed of coals in mine feels very toasty from several feet away.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: