Crystal like creosote in firebox? (accumulating with ashes)

Old 01-10-16, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Crystal like creosote in firebox? (accumulating with ashes)

I have a wood-stove insert in my basement. It is about 12 years old. Note: the vent pipe on the front ceiling of the firebox is shot and needs replacing.
I wasn't able to clean my chimney and exhaust stove pipe from my wood-stove last 2 years. (Due to injury)

The fire does not seem to be venting as easily and isn't burning as well as the prior years. For the first time I am accumulating these crystal like creosote clumps with the ashes. IS this in fact CREOSOTE? PS I am burning high and hot.
Also burning elm for the first time ever could this be it?
I Will try and replace the vent pipe and also try and clean the stack pipe and chimney before the winter is over at first opportune moment.
However why is this happening? Could it be from anything other than what I mentioned?
thanks

Old 01-10-16, 10:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It sounds like creosote. A hot fire reduces the amount of creosote produced but won't eliminate it. I only burn hardwood in the stove in my house although it's often a slow burn and I need to clean the chimney every month or so but my shop stove gets mostly pine and scrap or rotten wood ..... and it only needs cleaning every few yrs or so - go figure

Old 01-10-16, 01:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

One thing I'd check for is to see if the combustion air inlets for the insert are clear of indect nests, spider webs or other debris. If the combustion air supply is impaired, the combustion of the wood will be impaired as well.

Then check to see if the chimney/vent pipe is getting plugged up. If it is, it will impair the flow of combuistion air through and out of the insert which will reduce the rate of combustion and make it more difficult to get a fire started.

>

Wood stoves are a leading cause of fires! You need to maintain your stove system for safety!. Also, if the vent pipe is corroded out, it will dilute the flow of combustion gases up the chimney, which will reduce the fuel combustion during fires and make it more difficult to get a fire started.

In short --- a clean and well maintained wood stove is safer and will work better. A poorly maintained stove can be dangerous and will probably burn poorly.

Old 01-10-16, 10:44 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks Marksr and SP
I am working on the neglected maintenance.!
I also learned from other forums that certain variety's of Elm's have been known for producing "clinkers"(the crystallized coal clumps.) This wood should be dry and aged well in order to produce a colorful and sometimes satisfying warm hearth fire!

Old 01-15-16, 12:54 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to clean your stove pipe. A chimney fire is not something you want to deal with. Hire someone if you have to but get that pipe cleaned asap!

Also how hot is hot? Your stove pipe should not exceed 500F 3' above the top of the stove, if it is, you need to cut back on air, with a neglected dirty pipe running extremely hot you run a serious risk of a chimney fire which could very easily burn your house down!

Also because it hasnt been cleaned, means you havent checked the pipe yourself, you may have a build up of the bad creosote, for the lurkers, bad creosote is a hard, shiny substance that turns sticky when heated, and is very easily ignited. Its caused by not burning hot enough, or burning crappy wood.

If any part of your stove or pipe is glowing, thats REALLY bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: