Fireplace: broken glass replacement

Old 02-04-16, 07:46 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fireplace: broken glass replacement

My gas fireplace insert has a fixed glass window (no door/doesnt open). The glass recently shattered probably due to age, but not sure. I found a website online that I was able to order the right size tempered glass to replace it. The problem is the old glass mounted to the frame via what looks like red double sided tape. I searched online to try to find similar tape that would withstand heat, but couldn't find anything specific to fireplaces. Anyone have any idea how I should mount it?

Old 02-04-16, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,484 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Usually that glass is held in with high heat red silicone. I don't remember ever seeing any high heat double sided tape for that.

Have you checked with the manufacturer ?
You could post the make and model here too.

Name:  Red-1.gif
Views: 936
Size:  35.7 KB

Red RTV is rated to 600 degrees.

Old 02-04-16, 08:17 PM
Y
I bet that is it!! Thanks a million!

Old 02-05-16, 04:59 PM
Y
Frame gasket/insulation?

The frame of the glass window to the fireplace has a red rubber type gasket or insulation that goes all the way around and appears to have been glued to the fireplace when installed. It appears to be a bit worn down and probably needs to be replaced. The link below is to a picture of it. Any idea where I can find a replacement?

Thanks again

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

Old 02-05-16, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
That file is showing as compressed ZIP file. Can't you post it as a picture ?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 02-05-16, 06:25 PM
Y
Thumbs up Pic

Name:  20160205_175449000_iOS.jpg
Views: 1077
Size:  37.8 KB

Try this..................,.....

Old 02-05-16, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
I can leave you a link to a place that sells high heat thermal products but gaskets like those are spec'ed by the manufacturer. I had asked previously.... did you check with them ?

I buy high heat products from A/B Thermal High Temperature Heat Flame Fire Resistant products

In looking around I found a place that carries a high heat self stick tape. Rated to 500 instead of 600 like most silicone rubber parts. auburn-mfg/products/strip-n-stick.html

Old 02-06-16, 01:06 PM
Y
Model # and new issue

Got the model: Superior model#DS-36RN. Gas fireplace with an electric wall switch to turn on. Just need to figure out where to get the right rubber gasket inserted around the frame of the glass window?

I finally removed all the broken glass from the frame to prep for the replacement glass and what appeared to be double sided tape is the actually red silicone- just like u recommended. They originally applied it so evenly and it was rubbery like tape I thought it was tape. Thanks for that!

New problem...
Was going to clean out the fireplace since I have it open and ran into a new problem. Pilot light on, but fireplace wont ignite. I suspect this has been an issue since the original glass shattered; may somehow be related? Did some research and it looks like I will need a multimeter to test voltage of thermopile. Seems to be getting outside my wheelhouse and will probably just call in a pro.

Great forum - very knowledgeable and helpful!

Old 02-06-16, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
I'm glad you determined it was actually silicone because the replacement glass and frame is pricey. It's part number H8125 Glass 36Rfrk Frame With Gasket. Lennox is the support company for your unit. GLASS 36RFRK FRAME W/GASKET

Well... if you want to look into it I'll guide you thru but while you have it all apart it would be an excellent time to have the pilot orifice, burner orifice and the burner itself cleaned.

Old 03-15-16, 09:17 AM
D
Where did you get you glass?

Have the same issue with a shattered glass and need to replace. Fireplace is 22 years old so factory OEM is rare and getting more expensive every time I replace one of these, (shattered 3 times over 22 years). Can you please share the URl of the place you found for the replacement glass?

Thanks
Don

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: