Is it safe to hook a fireplace to a switch?

Old 02-29-16, 10:05 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Is it safe to hook a fireplace to a switch?

Hi,

I own a Napoleon GDV36NTF gas fireplace. Looking at the wiring, I see that the pilot goes to TPTH and TP, whereas the thermostat goes to TPTH and TH. This seems in accordance to the post here.

This being said, I don't like how the thermostat operated and I would like to change it for a regular light switch. I tried it and it works, but I am wondering if those fireplace have a protection against user stupidity? If I forget the switch as "on" and there is no thermostat, is there an internal thermostat/ fail safe mechanism that will automatically stop the fireplace from heating continuously?

Additionally, I am considering controlling my fireplace with my computer/phone. To that end, I intend to add a relay in parallel to the thermostat (on pins Th and TPTH) and that relay would be connected to a device (Ubiquity mPort) that I can control remotely. Is there a reason why it would be unadvisable to do such a thing (hook a relay in parallel to pins TH and TPTH)?

Thanks

Old 02-29-16, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Yes.... you can use a regular switch to turn the fireplace on and off in place of the thermostat.
No... the fireplace will not shut itself off. If the switch is on.... it will be on.
The wiring from the gas valve to the switch must be solidly connected for proper operation.

I don't know if I necessarily approve of your remote control of the fireplace. I only run my gas insert when I'm home. I don't see any negatives but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with the fireplace on unattended.

Old 03-01-16, 08:30 AM
C
In theory, it would never be unattended. The remote part is just to be able to start with my phone without having to walk to the button .

My fear with the switch is if I go to bed and forget that it is on and it keeps heating throughout the night, or if I leave the home with the switch on. It could be a fire hazard.

Old 03-01-16, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
So that brings us back to the issue...... what is the problem using a thermostat ?

Old 03-01-16, 10:24 AM
C
3 things:
1- It's ugly on my wall
2- I need to walk to the wall to "activate" it
3- Most importantly: I don't use the fireplace as a heating appliance, but as a visual aid. The concept of the thermostat is: "Heat until temp X is achieved" but the way I want to use my fireplace is "Run for X minutes". That's why my "home automation" solution will allow me to set a "timer" of X minutes and then turn it off.

Old 03-01-16, 10:52 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I know you said it was ugly but maybe someone could suggest a better looking one and you could wire it in series to the switch with the thermostat set high enough to just act as an "over heat" control.

Old 03-01-16, 02:13 PM
C
That's actually a good idea. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: