What kind of damper is this?


Old 04-01-16, 06:43 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 148
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of damper is this?

Hello, the damper in this fireplace doesn't seem to have any hinges at the edges, it's rusted, warped and stuck in the almost closed position. Pulling the handle only bends the damper. I want to cut it off and install a top-lock chimney damper. Any comment on how this damper is meant to be working would be appreciated. Please see the photos:

front view: Name:  IMG_20160401_170207.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  39.1 KB

and left and right corners with no apoarent hinges: Name:  IMG_20160401_170240.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160401_170315.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  51.5 KB

Thanks and best wishes, h.
Old 04-01-16, 09:17 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 61,398
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
That's not a type of damper I've ever seen before. It looks like it hinges on the bolt where I put the red arrow.

Name:  damper.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 04-01-16, 09:37 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 148
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJmax, thanks for the comment! Yes, looks like with this bolt one could set the minimum opening for the damper before starting the fireplace. However, hard to say for sure because this bolt's rusted through and to the frame. I'm trying to make sure that this damper is beyond repair and that I'm not missing anything. The damper plate had somehow been warped badly to the extent that it wouldn't have been able to close the opening even if it had hinged well.
Old 04-01-16, 09:53 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Yes, that damper is beyond repair. A top damper is an excellent way of repair. You may need to cut the old damper into several pieces any way you can to fully remove it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: