Bug-Proofing a Direct Vent Fireplace

Old 06-12-16, 01:13 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bug-Proofing a Direct Vent Fireplace

So my house has a direct vent fireplace, which if you take a look at the pictures below, definitely leaves the inside exposed to all sorts of critters. We have lots of spiders around here during the summer and a few big ones have already made their way inside.

Any thoughts on a fire-safe way to make this vent a little more bug-proof? Thanks!

Name:  IMG_2772.jpg
Views: 7601
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2773.jpg
Views: 4970
Size:  33.6 KB

Old 06-12-16, 06:06 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm not certain of the scale, but almost looks like a mouse could get through that screen. Certainly bugs and bees. Not a pro, but isn't the combustion chamber sealed from the interior?

Bud

Old 06-12-16, 06:33 PM
C
The spaces between the grates is about 1/4" - too small for a mouse, but definitely plenty of space for bees and other larger insects.

No other sealant from the inside. I can look through the fireplace from the inside and see the grate. I should probably check the manual and see if the installer forgot to put something in.

Old 06-12-16, 06:42 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm not the best at fireplace technology, but I'm assuming this is a gas fireplace and the purpose of a direct vent is to ensure the combustion products go to the outside. Is there a fan to assist the exhaust? If you can just look through the back of the fireplace and see out through the exhaust vent, Hmmm, I would be concerned about more than the bugs.

Bud

Old 06-13-16, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Direct vent gas fireplaces are carefully engineered to both provide sufficient fresh air to burn the gas and to dispose of the combustion products outdoors. So blocking or modifying the venting system is an invitation to producing large amounts of soot and carbon monoxide.

The only thing I can suggest to deal with insects is to shut off the power and gas to the fireplace so that it can't be ope5rated during the summer and then use platic sheeting or a box of some kind to protect the outdoor termination.

Old 07-07-16, 12:40 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Leaving the pilot light run over the summer will keep insects from coming into the fireplace. The pilot light will also keep moisture out and a drier firebox will prevent rusting of the burner and firebox.

Manufacturers paint those things, but over time that paint will come off or they don't paint ever inch of the fireplace. The cost to run a pilot light is minimal. Average pilot light is 700 BTU/hr. You can calculate the cost depending on your gas type and price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: