Anybody with pellet press near Vermont I could try?

Old 11-09-16, 02:13 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody with pellet press near Vermont I could try?

I have access to a LARGE supply of wood that might be appropriate for pressing into pellets, but I'm not positive and would want to try it out before making an investment.

The wood is kiln dried eastern white pine sawdust. Its pretty coarse, in the neighbourhood of 1/16 of an inch. There are some fines in it as well, but not a huge amount.

I'm in north-western Vermont, but can travel a reasonable distance.
Thanks,

Patrick

Old 11-10-16, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Never heard of a homeowner doing this! I'd be interested to have you report on how this works, if you make it work.

I imagine that a main attraction of pellet stoves is that you don't have to horse around with wood. Making your own pellets seems to contradict that impulse.

In general, if you are a firebug and wood butcher like me, you generally want a wood stove. And if you're not, you don't.

But as I say, I'd be glad to hear how this idea works for you.

This morning, I fired up my wood stove to heat up the house, heated water for dish washing and bathing, and simmered a stew on top as well!

Good luck, but I really am no help, except to wish you well.

Old 11-11-16, 05:34 AM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Should not be burning pine, to much creosote and it would burn fast and hot.

Old 11-11-16, 04:08 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
We burned 100% pine pellets from Vermont Wood Pellet Company for three or four years until we got natural gas into the house. They burned great. NO clinkers, and little ash. Currently though the price of these pellets per btu is a fair amount higher than natural gas here.

I've not really read anything saying that pine has an issue with creating creosote, but the issue is incomplete combustion caused by trying to burn unseasoned wood causing low stack temps. Do you have sources that say otherwise?

Old 11-11-16, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 897 Upvotes on 758 Posts
Should not be burning pine, to much creosote and it would burn fast and hot.
Pellet stoves are opposite of a standard wood stove. Softwoods burn better, cleaner, and with little ash than hardwoods. I burned a ton (50 bags) of softwood pellets one year and only had to empty the ash pan (size of the old Stanely lunch boxes) once. Pellets also burn clean due to the induction fan drafting the fire all the time. I have used Hardwood pellets in the past and hated them! Way too much ash!

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 11-12-16 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-12-16, 03:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 862 Upvotes on 754 Posts
When burning pine a lot depends on the temperature of the fire. I burn more pine than anything else in my shop stove and that flue always stays clean BUT it's always a hot fire out there as opposed to the slow burn I'll use in the house stove.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: