New Gas log.. don't let me burn down my home!!!!

Old 12-16-16, 06:25 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Gas log.. don't let me burn down my home!!!!

Wife insisted on a gas log this Winter so I picked up a Duluth vent free unit that has very good reviews and seems to be a nice product for the price. I have a few questions I need answered as I am new to this and want to make sure I don't burn down my home.

1. My pilot light is 2.5-3" tall. Is this normal? (Manual shows a pic of how the flame should look) This has been Answered!

2. Can a pilot light be left on 24/7 all year around safely?

3. My install kit came with a shut off valve but I have one on the wall at that location. This shutoff valve makes my fire logs sit a couple inches to the right and not center. I would prefer not to have 2 shutoff valves if that is ok?

4. Mine is a vent free unit but I lifted the vent because the mantle above the fire place became very warm. Maybe it's ok for it to get warm? (Manual answers this question and says it is common for these places to become very warm) This has been Answered!

5. It came with a plastic box that is the remote control box. No where in the instructions does it tell you what to do with it! So I stuck it as far as I could to the right and covered the wire and part of the box with lava rocks to try and keep some heat away from it. With the Vent open it does not appear to heat up at all. I have not tried it with the vent closed. Did I do this correctly?

6. It mentions with Natural Gas to measure and make sure it's not above 9"WC. It says damage can occur. Then it goes on to say there is a safety feature that will not let it light if above 9"WC. So am I to believe after hooking it up that if it lights it should be fine and below 9"WC? The unit seems to be working fine.

7. I have cats in my house. I do have a chain mesh setup that slides in front of the fire place and then another standing designer looking metal fence in front of that limiting the ability for the cats to get behind it. Anyone ever heard of a cat getting lit on fire by a pilot light ? lol

Last edited by Copyright; 12-16-16 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Old 12-16-16, 06:43 AM
C
I will check it out but it came with a manual that answered none of these questions for me. This is why I am asking them in here.

EDIT: It did give me info on two questions. What the pilot light should look like (not height though) and the mantle getting warm/hot to the touch. All other questions remain unanswered for me. My other concern is my flame height seems pretty high. I am thinking my pressure is to high possibly.

Last edited by Copyright; 12-16-16 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 10:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,051 Upvotes on 3,634 Posts
1) On these units a large pilot light is used.

2) Yes... a pilot light can be left on year round. You could shut it off in the summer.... if desired.

3) A shutoff valve at or near the unit is required. So you don't need the second one.

4) If you have an all masonry fireplace/firebox then you don't need to open the flue.

5) The black box is a battery powered remote receiver that matches the handheld transmitter that came with the fireplace. That box is usually installed outside the firebox. I'll stop back and cover the wiring if you need help there.

6) It would be an excellent idea to have the gas pressure tested. A manometer is required. Your natural gas supplier should be able to do that for you at no or a minimal cost.

7) I doubt the cat will climb in on top of the logs but if it does..... it won't do it again.

Now.... my two cents worth. I'm not a big fan of non vented heaters as they allow the burned by products to be delivered in the house. Check the install manual carefully.... as they discuss the need for fresh air to be allowed in the room. CO detectors are a MUST near sleeping areas for an unvented heater. A unvented heater should never be used in a confined sleeping area.

Old 12-16-16, 01:34 PM
C
So couple more questions and thank you so much for answering these...

1. You said you don't like vented fire places. Can I just vent open and run it vented? My wife wants this more for the look than the actual function of heating the livnig room. We ran it with the vent open and it still produced some heat in the living room and gave her the look she wanted.

2. The black box. There is no where for me to put this thing. I have it shoved up toward the front and in a corner with pieces of fake fire wood on it and lava rock on top of the cables and box. After running the fireplace for an hour it barely got warm to the touch when I checked it. Will it be ok to leave it there?

3. The manual mentioned mounting the unit but whatever is surround the inside of my firebox doesn't seem like concrete. I can take pictures if needed of all this if it will help?

Thank you again for your time! I will pickup a Nest Smoke and CO detector. At least this way if I am away from the house.

Last edited by Copyright; 12-16-16 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 02:30 PM
J
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Watch what happens to the windows and walls when you have that running without a window cracked.
You may find condensation issues.

Old 12-16-16, 04:06 PM
C
OK, I will look for that.. this is in my living room. Its a very large living area. House is about 4k SQft and very open where this is. 25+ft cielings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: