Need advice on removing old gas starter from fireplace

Old 12-17-16, 09:16 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need advice on removing old gas starter from fireplace

I have purchased a gas log kit to convert our wood-burning fireplace to a ceramic-log/gas fireplace. The fireplace currently has the following gas starter pipe in place:

Name:  IMG_3412.jpg
Views: 1925
Size:  40.9 KB

http://i.imgur.com/7pIbeqB.jpg

Using a pipe wrench, I have tried to loosen both sides of the starter pipe, to the left and right of the splitter. It isn't budging. And I'm worried about knocking something loose underneath the brickwork (crawlspace).

My original plan was to remove the starter pipe and splitter, and then connect the new gas log set to the threaded gas line. But I can't seem to get anything to budge--and am also now questioning my overall plan in general.

Open to any advice, please! Thanks!!

Old 12-18-16, 06:16 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, I'd check the install instructions for the gas log kit to see the allowable locations for the gas source; usually they are to the rear or sides for obvious reasons. If you are going to have to move it, it likely will be a lot easier to just cut the vertical pipe above the brick and then unscrew the stub from whatever fitting is under the floor.

If the location is OK, then you just need bigger pipe wrenches. Always use two..one to back up the fitting so you are not stressing all the other parts, and one to unscrew the pipe.

Don't hesitate to call a plumber if you are unsure about taking this on....

Old 12-18-16, 04:37 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. The instructions for the gas log kit don't specify, as long as you can reach either end of the pan, and the connector pipe is plenty long enough. I've purchased some PB Blaster and gathered up several more pipe wrenches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: