Installing a wood stove in a converted school bus

Old 01-15-17, 04:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a wood stove in a converted school bus

We have a bus (like a school bus) that has been converted into a motor home. We also have a wood stove that was manufactured within a sheet metal case surrounding the wood stove like I have seen done with oil and gas stoves. We would like to install this wood stove in our bus parallel to the outside wall of the bus. The outside wall is made of steel and we would put a couple inches of high temperature insulation between the wall and the stove. The top of the stove has louvers to allow the heat to escape and the front is made of a fine expanded metal to allow air to enter the metal case surrounding the wood stove. On the left of this stove would be a kitchen stove and to the right about two feet of space before an insulated sheet metal plate. On the right side of the stove would be about two feet of space until an insulated sheet metal plate. I would like some opinions about this prospective installation.

Old 01-15-17, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Full moon. I really don't know of any "code" reason why you could not do it. Now, with that said, the stove will probably weigh close to 800 lbs, making it possibly too heavy for the floor system of the bus sitting still, let a lone moving on a road. How do you plan on exhausting the flue gasses? Any chimney system will have to bear the wind of the moving bus. In addition you will need to keep all combustible surfaces away from the heat of the stove, and the chimney will need a 2 square foot non combustible structure plate for the flue/chimney to sit on.

You asked for "opinions", and mine would be to install an electric stove that could be plugged in or run off a generator.

Old 01-15-17, 05:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The bus has ceased to be a vehicle that we take on the road. We will now keep it on our property, only moving it occasionally short distances on our property. This stove only weighs a couple hundred pounds at most so it will be easy to move and install. The stove vents out the back so I can cut a hole in the side of the bus and run it up above the roof of the bus. We presently have an LP gas stove/furnace in the bus, but during the winter it doesn't even come close to being adequate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: