Replacement of door gasket and high limit switch

Old 10-25-17, 07:25 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement of door gasket and high limit switch

I just had my WP4 Quest pellet stove checked and cleaned (I had tenets using it for 3 years). It needs to have door gasket and high limit switch replaced. They want to charge me another $300 to do those tasks. How crazy am I to think i could just do both tasks myself?

Old 10-25-17, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Good questions. The high limit stat is held in with two screws and the wires just snap on to the terminals. I'm not sure about the gasket. They quoted you what I consider to be a little on the high side but since I'm not sure what's involved..... it may be a labor intensive repair.

It would be helpful if you could post a picture or two..... maybe one of the whole door and gasket and one a closeup of the gasket and we can determine how it's attached. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-25-17, 09:42 PM
K
For all of the pellet stoves I've dealt with, the door gasket is a simple replacement that I'd have no hesitation recommending you do yourself.
Not sure if you can easily remove the door from that unit or not but do so if at all possible.
Pull the door gasket out
Measure diameter and length. Order kit or pick it up locally. I recently ordered a 6ft kit with glue off eBay for $11
Wire wheel or scrape away any leftover gasket or glue
Cut and dry fit the new gasket
Remove, lay down a bead of glue, press gasket in firmly, install door and leave it shut for as long as the glue says. Some also says to fire up the stove for a little while.

Old 10-26-17, 06:35 AM
L
Here are the pictures of the gasket. Seems easy enough actually. What would I need to find in regards to specifications for gasket and glue?

Attached Images   
Old 10-26-17, 06:57 AM
K
Measure the diameter and length of it all combined. I'd guess it at 3/4 diameter. Then you can either go online or to your local hardware store and pick up a kit that contains the glue and the rope. Imperial is the brand I see around here. Then you can just cut the rope into the needed lengths with scissors. The glue can run so I'd still recommend removing the door if you can. If not, I'd glue and fit a section at a time. You'll get a feel for how the glue moves.

Old 10-28-17, 06:29 AM
L
Thanks everyone. I feel pretty confident I can fix this myself.

Old 10-28-17, 12:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
The gasket looks to be a # 61057100. (1/2" x 7'-8')
The high heat stat # 12147705 (AMP PP3215-1)

You can search using the part numbers or buy both parts at the same place and save shipping.... whitfield-pellet-stove-parts-quest-plus-fs-wp4
Pan down to the sixth row of products.

Owners manual with parts list at end..... whitfield_quest_insert_manual.pdf?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: