Can I use this firelog burner to start real wood?

Old 11-09-17, 02:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I use this firelog burner to start real wood?

Our fireplace has fake logs. Can I remove these ceramic logs and use the gas to start burning real wood?

My biggest concern is the gas line coming into the firebox. If I cant use this setup to start the wood fire. Can I cap this off and still burn wood without concern of the heat and burning wood leaning against the line?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-17, 03:00 PM
A
Well, i sure wouldn't leave the gas line in the fire box. Any failure of that line is a direct flow of gas into your fireplace which doesn't sound safe to me. I would remove the gas line from the fire box and cap it off. Plug the hole in the side of the fire box where the gas line comes in.

Also, be aware that some fireplaces that have gas inserts are not rated to burn wood. The temperature of wood is higher and you have to build the fireplace and chimney to proper specifications. Have a pro give you guidance on that.

Old 11-09-17, 03:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
That is pretty clearly a question that can't be answered without brand and model information from the mfg. The mfg would provide the best guidance on how their product is intended to be used.

Old 11-09-17, 03:16 PM
R
Thanks for your quick replies.
My concern about that thin gas line is confirmed. It can't stay!

Is it sufficient to remove the coupling and put a cap on the pipe?
I am still concerned about that gas pipe getting hot. Of course there is a valve behind it but still, I am wary of that steel pipe sticking out in the firebox...

Old 11-09-17, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Since there is no shut-off visible in the picture..... I'm assuming you have a Dante valve with a key. Is that correct ?
You can turn the gas off with the key and cap off the iron pipe in the firebox. You can also cap off the gas line anywhere after the shutoff valve if you have access to it.

Old 11-09-17, 05:44 PM
R
Indeed there is a "Dante" with a valve key on the wall next to the fireplace.
Capping off the pipe and removing the key just in case...

If I forgot my boy scout skills I might install a gas starter kit ;-)

Thanks for all your help!

Roger

Old 11-10-17, 09:04 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aces-n-eights
Also, be aware that some fireplaces that have gas inserts are not rated to burn wood. The temperature of wood is higher and you have to build the fireplace and chimney to proper specifications. Have a pro give you guidance on that.
I bought a house once that had a fireplace with a nice brick surround. It was never used as a fireplace but had a TV & stereo set into it. Well my wife always wanted a real fireplace so I checked with a contractor and learned that a wood-burning fireplace is built to a different code than a gas fireplace. I ended up installing a gaslog "woodstove" into the surround. Wife was disappointed but to change it to a proper wood fireplace would have required completely tearing out & rebuilding the entire chimney & surround.

Be safe & get it inspected.