Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Brick fireplace demo

11-29-17, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Brick fireplace demo

Hi, I've inherited a fireplace with bowing brick work and hearth which is separating. This is late 1970's construction.

I found a photo of a fireplace on the web, which appears to mirror my fireplace/chimney construction. Brick adjoins masonry around firebox and goes to ceiling on opposite side of framing. There's also the same structural steel piece above the firebox opening, visible in photo I found.

(photo I found, not mine but appears to be similar construction)

I'm wondering what precautions I should be taking in demo'ing the hearth and brick going up the wall. While I'm prepared to remove everything, replace with drywall and put in a mantle surround with slate or something on the floor in place of the hearth... I'm also wondering if I can safely remove bricks from the bottom up and possibly retain as much of the brick up the wall as possible, just re-brick the bowing portion only (should I expect the wall to collapse as lower bricks are removed, dumb question, huh... maybe something I can do to stabilize?). Or should I just plan on removing the bricks from top down, replace everything.

Thanks for any insights folks have.

Jeff

Here's my fireplace

Where bowing...
​​​​​​

Last edited by stargazer66; 11-29-17 at 09:25 PM.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

11-30-17, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)  
Does the fireplace stack share the chimney with the boiler?

Group Moderator

NC

11-30-17, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Usually there are no special precautions when just removing the hearth and brick veneer surround. You will likely end up seeing something like your top photo. You don't want to go deeper than the one layer of brick on the veneer until you can make sure that the deeper brick isn't supporting the chimney but that first pretty layer you can see inside the house is just cosmetic and can come off.

Search this Thread