Wood stove backdrafting tons of smoke on windy days

Old 01-05-18, 01:35 PM
Wood stove backdrafting tons of smoke on windy days

We have a wood stove here as our primary source of heat, works great in general but on windy days we tend to have to put the fire out because it blows very thick smoke down thru the chimney, thru the stove, and out into the house...dangerous amounts.

I just had to do just that and it sux for obvious reasons...lost our main source of heat and already gave us a bit of a headache and cough due to too much smoke.

From searching around the internet I am semi understanding it likely has to do with how low, and the general position, of our chimney compared to the roof height and/or shape?

Do I need to just add X ft to the existing metal chimney sticking up? I saw some sort of baffled top thing for sale that was supposed to fix this as well but hoping to add some cheapish metal pipe vs buy one of those as they were rather expensive.

Thanks

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  s2.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  s4.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  s5.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  81.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-05-18 at 07:20 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Raising the flue should help, how do you plan to support the elevated portion?

Old 01-05-18, 03:44 PM
Not sure on that...but I've seen some places that use anchored wires to hold them in place...So I'm looking for advice on that as well as how high I have to go, and whatever other info I need...to fix this.

Old 01-06-18, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
There will be specific instructions in the installation manual for the make of chimney you have.
It will say how high the chimney should be in the relation to to your roof line and how it should be supported.

What brand and model is that chimney?
It looks like it is a bit close to the wall for what our regulations are here.
Has the installation been inspected? .........this is normally required for your house insurance to be valid?

Old 01-06-18, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Most fireplaces and wood stoves require a minimum height of chimney. Without enough height the chimney cannot establish a strong enough draw. A quick search on the Internet says 15 feet of height is the minimum many recommend and yours appears to be closer to 8 feet.

Old 12-03-18, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
There will be specific instructions in the installation manual for the make of chimney you have.
It will say how high the chimney should be in the relation to to your roof line and how it should be supported.

What brand and model is that chimney?
It looks like it is a bit close to the wall for what our regulations are here.
Has the installation been inspected? .........this is normally required for your house insurance to be valid?
Well I am a bit embarrassed to admit we just kinda powered thru the remainder of last winter and just relied on our oil heat on extra windy days.

But we are back in it again this year and getting this done is on my immediate 'honey do' do list.

The stove is a Fisher it says on the front
[IMG]http://i65.************/12513d2.jpg[/IMG]

Ill email or call them about min/max clearance for the stove thanks for the recommendations guys.

And yes it was installed to close to the wall (before my time) so we are putting up a heat shield best we can out of sheet metal with non conductive 1 inch spacers between them and the wall.
[IMG]http://i64.************/fan2ub.jpg[/IMG]

Guess I can't add images or links?

Old 12-03-18, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Here are instructions for addition photos to your post.

Old 12-04-18, 07:42 AM
Ok thanks, lets see if I uploaded the images right...couldnt find an edit option for the previous post.

Attached Images   
Old 12-04-18, 08:20 AM
Hi alchemist, I do remember this thread but will need to go back and read to see what has been suggested. If the wind is coming from over the top of those two roof lines the problem could be as simple as the natural downward pressure it creates. But I'll read first.

Bud

Old 12-04-18, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Have you checked the manufacturer's recommendation for flue height? I would also look into your local codes to make sure it's high enough and far enough away from the other parts of the house. Extending the chimney could help with the drawing problem and make it code compliant.

Old 12-04-18, 03:06 PM
Weather app says its going to be relatively calm and not alot of strong winds this week so I plan on getting it sorted one way or another before the weekend and fire it up again...getting quite cold again here (PA) with a little snow.

I expect the stove to radiate even more heat with the heat shield in the back helping bounce back and circulate it out...I hate relying totally on the oil furnace. That chimney is on the NW corner of the house. Sometimes our wind blows right into it, sometimes it's coming from other directions.

Old 12-04-18, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
Have you checked the manufacturer's recommendation for flue height? I would also look into your local codes to make sure it's high enough and far enough away from the other parts of the house. Extending the chimney could help with the drawing problem and make it code compliant.
I'm contacting Fishers directly now to ask

And found on another site "Outside air currents can affect draft if they swirl around obstructions
and blow down the chimney rather than across the
outlet. Eddy currents of air that affect draft are most of*ten caused
by wind blowing across nearby parts of the build*ing roof. For this
reason, certain clearances have been es*tablished to lessen the
problem. A chimney must extend at least three feet above a roof
and at least two feet above a roof ridge or any raised part of a roof
within 10 feet."
http://www.concordgroupinsurance.com...%20install.pdf