Its cold here in NJ. Is this ice around the chimney 'normal' / acceptable?

Old 01-18-18, 11:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its cold here in NJ. Is this ice around the chimney 'normal' / acceptable?

We're in NJ. happened to notice this in a stretch of really cold (<20F) days. Is this unavoidable?

I noticed this ice collecting around the chimney. we have gas heated hot water radiators (boiler is 25 - 30 years old) and gas heated hot water heater in the basement (5 years old).

The hot exhaust air has moisture in it and condenses when it hits the cold air?

Is ice on the chimney meaning the exhaust gas isn't all that hot? Which is good? Bad? as an indication of boiler efficiency?

I guess in extreme situations, that ice could block the flue / CO issues in the house?

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  59.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-18-18 at 11:55 AM. Reason: reoriented/enlarged pic
Old 01-18-18, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,616 Votes on 1,488 Posts
The hot moisture laden gases will condense and freeze when hitting something cold especially that metal cap.

It looks like that cap could be become blocked by ice.

Old 01-18-18, 12:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! What would you do? Replace with a different cap? Been there a bunch of years. It's stainless / no rust / in good condition.

First time I've noticed this.

Did you rotate the pic? Not something users can do?

Old 01-18-18, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... I rotated and enlarged it.

A member can do it but I can do it quicker. The pictures gets copied, deleted from the board, repaired and reposted. When in advanced mode click on the paper clip. You'll see your file listed and at the bottom it says delete. You delete it there and reload the proper direction picture.

I'm not sure what I'd do. Looks like a very effective cap. I'm in a similar situation.... gas furnace and water heater in single flue chimney. I don't have a cap so I've no idea if there is ice building up. I haven't seen any.

Old 01-18-18, 12:12 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Do the water heater and furnace share the same flue? Chimney looks wide enough for two flues. Is there a fire place in the house?

Ice seems to all be on one side and I'm wondering if there is an unused fireplace on that side or a single water heater. Outside masonry chimneys do run cold.

Bud

Old 01-18-18, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Hmmmm... that's right. My fireplace is an interior one while yours is an exterior one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: