Removal of concrete slab under previous fireplace

Old 02-08-18, 08:41 AM
Removal of concrete slab under previous fireplace

I had my masonry fireplace removed a few years back. Replaced with gas fireplace and all is good. However, the cement slab that is under the fireplace is now an issue with some flooring I want to lay and I want to know if that pad can be removed and how to frame up the space left. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-18, 09:55 AM
Group Moderator
Without seeing your house it's hard to say anything specific. Is the concrete slab part of a monolithic masonry chimney as well?

Old 02-08-18, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
If it used to be a fireplace and it had a gas insert installed, it still needs a hearth.

Old 02-08-18, 10:49 AM
I understand that it is hard to give advise without seeing the house but I'll send a few more details and see if that helps. There used to be a brick, floor to ceiling, fireplace (inside house) with chimney (outside). All inside brick taken out and new wall framed in place. Wall unit put in place where fireplace used to be and gas fireplace (zero clearance, direct vent model) installed in that unit. The new fireplace is not an insert. The gas fp is raised about 6" off the floor on a wooden platform. Chimney outside capped as furnace and hot water tank are direct vented. The chimney is built up on a jut-out of the building foundation but there is no rough-in for basement fp as you see in some newer homes. This brings me to the concrete slab that still remains. From the basement you can see a sheet of plywood holding that pad and from the top you saw a rough concrete slab that is a bit prouder than the flooring and causing the flooring issues.

Old 02-08-18, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
If there is no trace of the original fireplace, that's different. If the gas fireplace has glass doors you can likely remove the hearth, provided your manual and your local code have no special requirements.

Demo the concrete, add a perimeter of framing the same size as your floor joists. Add joists to the center as needed. If they are over 4' long and suspended on both ends they should be in joist hangers. Add subfloor same thickness as existing, glued and screwed.

Search this Thread