How to remove and seal malm style freestanding fireplace?

Old 09-06-18, 12:54 AM
How to remove and seal malm style freestanding fireplace?

Hi guys itís been a while since I posted. A lot of great reads and info just lurking...

Im thinking of removing a majestic freestanding fireplace, while I have a scaffolding rented out for a day for popcorn ceiling removal. its a cone shaped malm style fireplace with ďlooseĒ metal pipes that goes all the way to the ceiling box.

The ceiling itself is about 2 stories high (2nd floor is a loft with a high ceiling) and I actually need the fireplace moved at least temporarily so I can set the scaffolding to reach the ceiling behind the fireplace.

Are these fireplaces easy to remove or disassemble?
I canít seem to find any installation instructions on the internet. There are similar ones but all different in a way.

So far i have figured out that the base and pipe are literally just stacked on top together without any screws.
I just have no clue of how the ceiling box is hanging on the ceiling and how the pipes are connected to it.

The corner of the ceiling box leaks slow drops of water whenever a huge storm comes (only enough to make a tiny puddle on the tile)

If itís an easy job, I would like to know if I can just seal the ceiling box opening and call it a day.( Iíve seen other unit that used to have the same fireplace have an metal lid over the ceiling box opening)

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-18, 01:02 AM
This one is the exactly the same one but doesnít have the ceiling box

Old 09-06-18, 01:06 AM
Nevermind I got the picture to load
[img]blob:https://www.doityourself.com/e0602b5e-599c-47e0-bb9a-6c32f532428a[/img]

Old 09-06-18, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Do you want to remove it and all the vent pipe for good..... including the thru roof fitting ?

Old 09-06-18, 09:14 PM
Yes ultimately I want it removed completely so I have more space in the condo, but for now I need to remove it temporarily so I can place the scaffolding.
I canít access it the ceiling at the moment since I need a scaffolding so I want to know if I can remove the pipe and base easily.
im sure Iíll need a pro to actually do the thru

Old 09-12-18, 05:01 AM
So I figured out how itís installed and the top single wall pipe seems to slip into the ceiling box. So the pipes are literally stacked on top of eachother. I was wondering if I can plug the ceiling box with a round lid.
Ive seen similar units in the neighborhood has done that.
Is it safe?
thanks

Old 09-12-18, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The chimney shouldn't be used by any other device so capping it off at the ceiling shouldn't pose any problem. Just make sure the remaining pipe is supported so it doesn't slide down.