How can I distinguish between fireplace and fireplace inserts

Old 10-10-18, 06:47 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I distinguish between fireplace and fireplace inserts

Hi There ,
I have a Gas Fireplace ,I am unsure if I have Fireplace or FirePlace Insert , so how to know which one is my FirePlace ? and if I need to replace with the Electric one , is possible DIY ?
Thanks so much
Old 10-10-18, 07:52 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 69,477
Received 2,810 Votes on 2,542 Posts
A gas fireplace is usually a gas operated burner under a grate that's used to start a wood fire.
A fireplace insert would usually be a completely self contained unit.

You'd get a good amount of heat from a gas unit and not much from an electric one.
I'm guessing the electric insert will be mostly for looks ?

You can post a picture of what you have and we can comment on that. How-to-insert-pictures
Old 10-10-18, 09:09 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,110
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And just to complicate may have a regular fireplace perfectly capable of burning wood, but with gas logs or a type of gas fireplace insert in the actual wood burning firebox.
Old 10-11-18, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 27,913
Received 1,517 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Sometimes you can tell the difference between a traditional and fireplace insert by looking closely. Sometimes along the front edge you can see the metal frame of an insert. You can also tap on the walls of the firebox. A traditional fireplace will be solid as a rock while an insert has a more hollow sound.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: