insulating above ground boiler lines

Old 11-03-18, 01:34 PM
insulating above ground boiler lines

I have a section of above ground copper wood boiler lines that runs from my pump shed to my attached garage at about 6' heiht, and on to the house. They are going to stay where they are for at least another year, so lets not go there. Is there a point of diminishing returns when insulating them? In other words, if I wrap them in foam noodles and pipe wrap should I also build a large enough protected enclosure to wrap them with high-R value fiberglass insulation? How much is enough and how much is a waste of time and space?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-18, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
That's really a tough question to answer. The logical answer would be the more insulation you use the less you lose. The only way you'd be able to really judge how well the layers work is to use an infrared heat gun to see the heat loss.

Old 11-05-18, 09:26 AM
More is only better to the point of diminshing returns. Unfortunately I can't afford a heat reader just for this.

Old 11-08-18, 06:46 PM
Is your goal to just minimize heat loss or to prevent freezing?

Old 11-10-18, 10:24 AM
Minimal heat loss is the goal. Its only a 60 inch length thats completely outside so I'm not sure how much heat I could lose overall, but this is northern MN and it does get cold. The pipes have always been wrapped in insulating tape and then wrapped in fiberglass with the whole thing encased in a wooden enclosure, but that wood rots out every few years (I prefer not to work with treated wood) and doesnt always keep it dry. I'm thinking of just going with the foam tape and a few wraps of reflectix and then making the enclosure out of foam board, which wont rot. Not even sure I need the fiberglass, which can lose its insulation value if it gets wet.