Burner and Pilot go out after 10-20min

Old 11-17-18, 01:40 PM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burner and Pilot go out after 10-20min

I installed a set of gas logs last winter. The installation went well and they seemed to work as expected. This month when I started using the logs, I noticed that the piot would like and the burner would come on as expected but both would go out after 5-15min. Relighting the pilot and everything would work again for 1-15min.

I tried cleaning the thermocouple. Although things seem to get better, the problem has not gone away.
Reading though the multitude of posts on the internet that describe the same problem but I haven't found any clear troubleshooting steps.

would like to start narrowing down the options. One question, Is the pilot suppose to remain on when the burner is on?

Old 11-17-18, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The thermocouple can't be cleaned or cleaning it doesn't do anything.

It sounds like the pilot flame is not large enough to properly heat the thermocouple.
Yes.... the pilot should remain lit at all times.

Can you post the model number for that insert ?

Old 11-18-18, 09:57 AM
I
I was able to figure it out and it was the pilot light. As someone mentioned, need to do the troubleshooting with the logs out of the way.
I had tried closing the gas valve slightly to control the noise related to the gas flowing. When the burner was turned on, the pilot light dropped to a trickle.
Opening the gas valve more seemed to has solved the problem. When I had adjusted it down I was just focuses on the size of the flames and the noise and had not paid attention to the pilot light.

I wish there was a way to control the noise from the gas flow. It sort of gets in the way of the effect.

Old 11-18-18, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You cannot throttle down the shut-off valve to the insert. That could cause the valve not to close correctly. I'm guessing your insert was not one with the variable gas valve for flame size.

Old 11-18-18, 01:13 PM
I
Thats for the info. I ill take a close look at the control valve. There was a screw type adjustment for the pilot light but did not see anything for controlling the flame size. Hanve't found my manual to get the model number and the info on the control valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: