DIY Propane fire pit

Old 01-05-19, 10:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY Propane fire pit

I took a project to convert our wood fire pit to propane, and Iím having issues. Let me describe how the system looks like now:

1. Standard propane tank is connected to:
2. 12ft propane line with regulator (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBS25JT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3gzmCbS5RPYW7), which is connected to:
3: 90 degrees fitting (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO8UJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jjzmCbXBCGZFZ), which is connected to:
4. Air mixture valve (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZWPYUWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AlzmCb2Z0TTST) which is connected to:
5. Fire pit burner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV2UFRO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2mzmCb376JXGZ)

The problem is that the moment I open the tankís valve, the hoseís Regulator immediately shuts off and no gas flows. In order to fire it up I need to open it VERY LITTLE AND VERY SLOWLY, and even then, after the flame is burning, if I open the valve slightly more to have more heat the regular shuts off.

Iím not sure what the problem is - is the regulator damaged? Is it the wrong type of regulator? Or is it because I have no valve placed between the regulator and the burner? I saw in other projects that people use key valve, is it a must?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-19, 05:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
The problem is the regulator. It's a safety feature of all modern gas grill style regulators. If the regulator senses too much gas flowing it shuts off thinking there is a leak like a cut hose. Try getting a regulator intended for home brewing or outdoor cooking. Bayou Classic has a selection of high pressure and high volume regulators intended for big outdoor cookers.

Old 01-06-19, 11:58 AM
T
Thanks! Is it not a must to place a valve between the regulator and the burner?

Old 01-06-19, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,167 Votes on 1,082 Posts
No.... not as long as there is a shutoff within sight of the pit. The valve at the tank complies.
You can use a valve between the burner and regulator and probably not have to change the reg.

Old 01-06-19, 03:35 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 623 Posts
Oh, I also forgot to mention since you said this happens when you open the tank's valve. When your gas line to the fire pit is empty and you open the tank valve for a second it appears to be a massive leak as the gas tries to fill the pipe and the valve clams shut. This can also happen on your home gas grill. If you have another valve downstream somewhere you can open the tank valve while leaving the downstream shutoff closed. You'll hear the gas rush into the pipeline and the safety clamps shut. Then quietly listen and in 30-90 seconds you'll hear the valve make a little "click". That's the safety valve opening. Now open your downstream shutoff valve and light the fire pit. This trick works on gas grills. Whether or not it will work on your fire pit depends on how much gas the burner consumes. If the burner exceeds the safety valve limit in the regulator you'll have to get a new regulator.

Old 01-08-19, 11:28 PM
T
I just wanted to update that following the good advice I got here, I added a downstream shutoff valve and now everything works well, without replacing the regulator.

Thank You!