I want to fab a stove for dbl sided fireplace

Old 01-20-19, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I want to fab a stove for dbl sided fireplace

Hello,

I have a double sided fireplace insert. It's a low end insert and the fireplace it is in is framed up with 2x material and covered with cement backer board and covered with real flat stone. It has an 8 inch pipe chimney inside that structure. I don't like the way it drafts and even more, I don't like the inefficiency. I love the atmosphere it provides and it is beautiful. I want to take the guts of it out and build a stove that fits custom inside the current insert opening. Removing the entire insert probably isn't really feasible because the stonework is mortared to it.

Anyone have experience with something like this? I used to have a wood burning stove that was very efficient and had a 2 speed blower on it. I want to do something similar, with a glass door or doors on both sides to retain the double sided factor. Anyone know of a source for more information about this kind of project? Looking for ideas, hoping to find nice doors with vents down at the bottom that I can open and close for controlling the draft, things like that. Thanks for any ideas or input. I have the skills to build it, just no plans yet.

Old 01-20-19, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Post some pics for us so we can all share the view.

Old 01-20-19, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is the suspect. My doberman is currently enjoying it.

Old 01-20-19, 09:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The black piece across the bottom is just a sheet of metal I put there to reduce the opening size to allow it to draft a little better and not smoke so much in the house. The other side looks about the same.

Old 01-21-19, 06:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You're looking for a total custom job. I would start looking around for a metal fabrication or welding shop. Someone with a plasma cutter or laser would be best. Draw up what you would like including dimensions. Then go talk to the welding shops to get an idea of price. Bring some pictures of how you want it to look and discuss details like how the door handles and hinges will be done.

You could help the welding shop out by finding a source for the glass and handles and maybe even door hinges to make their job easier. Best might be if you buy the parts and provide them to the welder. If you search online for "wood stove glass"
and "wood stove door handle" you'll find many suppliers. Also get the fiberglass edging used to seal the glass.

Old 01-21-19, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll be the welding shop. I will likely have someone cut the metal to spec for me though because I don't have the equipment to do a nice job of cutting (quickly anyway). I'd be either using a metal blade or acetylene torch and grinder if I end up having to do it. I do some blacksmithing too, so I'll probably be making my own handles, maybe also hinges and whatever else I can make that lends itself to eye appeal.

I've done some searching in hopes of finding other similar projects but either my google fu isn't strong enough or there just isn't much to see. I don't have it figured out in my head enough to start drawing plans yet. Still trying to figure out the damper vents... I want to direct them at the base of the fire. I'm figuring I will build the top out of 3/8" plate and attach a piece that extends up into the existing chimney pipe. Then I will make the floor plate and sides out of 1/4" plate and assemble it inside the existing firebox and weld it together in situ. Then place both fronts on and weld them on from the inside as well. I think I may put the draft vents in the front plates and have a baffle that directs the air directly at the base of the fire and a large door with glass on either side that just drops onto hinge pins so they can be removed easily for cleaning or an open fireplace feel. Typing this out actually helped me to get more of an Idea of what I want to do.

Old 01-21-19, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
I'm with the dog..... just make sure it's warm.

You said the other side looks the same. I'm guessing it's open between the two sides..... you'll be having one firebox ? In your picture it looks the fire is closer to the glass on the picture side.

Are you planning to build in some type of blower system ?

A double-sided wood fireplace – also called a see-through or 2-sided fireplace

Old 01-21-19, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, it's open from one side to the other. The fire is in the center on a wide grate. It heats my home pretty well for a fireplace, about 2100 square feet and it keeps us around 70-72 inside down to the mid to low 30s outside (depending on how often I have to open the doors to air the smoke out). Colder than that and the central heat has to kick in. I leave the central unit fan on to circulate the heat through the house. I'm not sure if I'll put a blower on it or not, likely.

Old 01-22-19, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Assembling it in place is the best way to maximize it's size and make sure everything fits. But, you're screwed if you ever want or need to remove it. I would try really hard to think of some way of doing it so it can be removed in the future without having to destroy the wall or fireplace insert.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: