how to open damper

Old 09-09-19, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to open damper

Hi, just purchased a home with a fireplace and the inspection report says that its missing a bracket that keeps damper from fully closing. any idea what that is? also how would i open damper, looks like you have to reach in fireplace to pull level to open. is this normal or is something missing? i have attached pic of what i can see.
Thanks for your help!!

Name:  damper.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  43.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 09-09-19 at 09:55 AM. Reason: reoriented/enlarged picture
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-19, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

As far as I know..... you should be able to close the damper completely. If you couldn't.... there would be a continuous draft that wouldn't be appreciated when it's cold outside.

The damper is hinged on one side. The mechanism that opens it should have notches in it so that you can select how much the damper is open. Hard to tell in the picture if the notched part is missing.

Have you tried opening it ?

Old 09-12-19, 02:34 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I would call a person who inspects and cleans chimneys. He would be able to show you what needs to be done to open the damper. Then, assuming you intend to use the fireplace, you should first get the chimney inspected and cleaned. Also, call the former owner of the house to learn the history of the fireplace.

It's hard to tell from your photo, but I think the damper may be shut. You can crawl on your back into the fireplace and manually push on the damper flap and verify the design of the damper's operating lever.

Good luck.