Majestic DV360RFN valve issue

Old 10-11-19, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Majestic DV360RFN valve issue

Hi all, I have a Majestic fireplace model number DV360RFN that I'm having issues with. The pilot will not stay lit. At first I was convinced the thermopiles were bad. I've replaced them and the pilot still will not stay lit. My model has a Honeywell RV8310E gas valve. Is there any way to test the valve before I spend the money to replace it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-19, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 381 Votes on 358 Posts
That seems to be a common problem. More in the DIY link below.
That's called a Comfort Valve system and apparently the valve is no longer available. From what I can see the pilot solenoid opens and won't keep the pilot lit. I would make sure that both thermopiles are completely engulfed in a pretty good sized pilot flame. It would be a bad idea to check the thermopile voltages. It's in the manual link below.

Majestic DV360 manual (pdf)

doityourself.com/forum/dv360-wont-keep-pilot-lit-when-releasing-control-knob.

Old 10-12-19, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. The thermopiles are new, but I'll check the voltages anyway. The ones I replaced were slightly under voltage. I suspect the valve because the flame does not fully engulf the thermopiles.

Old 10-12-19, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
It's a vicious circle. If the flame is not big enough to heat the thermopiles fully they won't generate enough voltage and the pilot won't remain open. When you light the pilot you are manually holding the pilot valve open. If the flame is not big and bushy at that point then you need to clean the pilot orifice.

Old 10-13-19, 12:04 PM
I pulled out the pilot hood and removed the orifice. what's the best way to clean it?

Last edited by beaverplt; 10-13-19 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-13-19, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
You can download the manual I left a link for. Click on the green download button. Answer captcha. Click on download. There are some good pictures in the last few servicing pages.

Old 10-13-19, 12:28 PM
I got it out. What's the best way to clean it? are there cleaners to avoid?

Old 10-13-19, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
The orifice is just a pinhole. You can use a pin or a bristle from a wire brush.

Old 10-13-19, 04:14 PM
Well, that was disappointing. Cleaned the orifice. I didn't see anything clogging it. I used a file from my welding torch to run through the hole. I didn't dislodge any visible dirt. Blowing through it both before and after cleaning it seemed the same. I reinstalled it and the flame was the same as it was earlier and the pilot won't stay lit. The flame is a constant blue with an occasional flicker of orange. I had been taught long ago that a gas flame that shows a lot of orange means dirt somewhere in the system. I don't see that in this case. I'm still wondering if there is some sort of adjustment on the valve.

Old 10-14-19, 12:24 PM
I've been trying a few different things to make this fireplace work. I've swapped the wires on the thermopiles. Cleaned everything I could. All to no avail. I'm now considering replacing the valve. The Honeywell valve I have is discontinued. There are two other valve and pilot combinations that were used in this model. Both are still available. Has anyone ever swapped out the entire system? What all would I need to get?

Old 10-24-19, 10:25 AM
Well, I broke down and bought the conversion kit to the SIT valve. I just got it today and the first thing I noticed is it has no fan control. Is it me, or doesn't it seem a little odd that you would design a conversion kit for a fireplace with a blower and not include the blower in your conversion?

Old 10-24-19, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Was the blower controlled directly off the old valve ?
Now you'll need a thermal sensor for auto fan operation.

Old 10-26-19, 04:12 PM
The blower was controlled by the old valve. I wrongly assumed the recommended "replacement" valve would be similar.
To top things off, when I light the pilot light, the whole fireplace lights. The only way to turn it off is to turn off the gas. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked the installation. Every thing is correct as per the instructions. If I'm missing something, I'd love to know what. This project is frustrating the bejeesus out of me.