new Wood stove old home of 1867

Old 11-07-19, 12:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new Wood stove old home of 1867

we bought a new wood stove to put in a kitchen of a 1867 home, we bought a couple of years ago. it used to have a wood stove in the kitchen in the early 1950's but when we bought the house someone years ago had coveted the walls We know where the chimney is in the home and it was inspected this week and everything is fine

Now the problem is how to I find the hole to connect the pipe ( the guys will be here in a month to install it)
and we need to find this hole before they get here !!!!

Any ideas on how we do this without destroying the whole wall
thanks

Old 11-07-19, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Following the top of the chimney down or it's base up should get you in the right area. Did they drywall over the brick? Maybe one of those temperature guns could pick out where the thimble is but I suspect it depends on how they closed it off.

Old 11-07-19, 04:30 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
If you have or know someone with a thermal (FLIR) camera I would look at the wall. It will work best if you do it when the temperature outside has changed dramatically.

Going off of what marksr said you can also go into the basement or crawlspace to locate the chimney's base. Measuring off an outside wall and compare with what you measure for the chimney above.

Option #3 is to make your best guess and knock a hole in the wall. Looking at the chimney you should be able to get a rough idea where the flue would be along the wall. Then for the height I would look about head height. Enlarge the wall until you find the flue. Then you can repair the wall. Patching can sometimes be an easy option.

Old 11-07-19, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Many times metal or tin is used to cover the opening. You may want to try a stud finder.

Old 11-07-19, 07:15 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Did the inspector just look down from the top? If he lowered a camera he could have told you.

Check renting a snake camera to locate it from the top.

Did the inspection tell you if the brick chimney is lined or just brick? Will you be installing a liner?

A visual inspection could also confirm that there are no other openings. Often very old chimneys served more than one stove.

If there is a cleanout at the bottom you could add a heat source to help an infrared camera locate that opening.

Bud

marksr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: