gas fireplace lights with a wooooosh

Old 11-08-19, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas fireplace lights with a wooooosh

It has been years, maybe 20, since I installed the gas logs and I think it has been lighting this way from the beginning. Since I lit a friends fp and it was quite as a mouse, I am trying to figure out why mine lights this way. On newer units there is a "flame diverter bracket" on the pan. Mine does not have one. Can someone tell me what this item is suppose to do?
It clips onto the side sloping edge of the pan about 1 1/4: from the back just below the pilot.
Name:  pan.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  29.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-19, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 298 Votes on 272 Posts
It all depends on what you have. Mine lights with a bit of a whoosh though it's not frightening. The whoosh can come from where the gas is released and where the ignition source is. If the gas enters the burner near the ignition the it is lit before much or any gas can escape but if the ignition source is further away then more gas will escape before reaching the ignition source causing a whoosh. Flame diverters are used on my things including patio grills. They capture a bit of gas right at the beginning of the burner and channel it to the ignition.