Install live edge mantle on uneven stone veneer wall

Old 11-13-19, 12:42 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Install live edge mantle on uneven stone veneer wall

I have a 2" thick live edge board (both front & back edges) that I want to use as a fireplace mantle on an uneven stone veneer wall. The back of the mantle will touch the stone in some (but not all) spots, which is fine. I want to use metal brackets to support the mantle, but am not sure how to mount them, as the stone face is uneven. Should I attach the brackets into the mortar joint or directly into the stone? Directly into the stone is easier, only in that the vertical mortar joints are not in the ideal locations for the brackets. I am also concerned that the screws/anchors will not hold in the mortar. Which is better, into the stone veneer or the mortar joints?

Also, in either case, the brackets will not mount vertically if I bring them directly in contact with the stones, so I think I will need some kind of stand-off posts (shims?) to ensure the brackets are vertical (and the mantle is horizontal).

Suggestions, please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-19, 01:22 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I would suggest perforated angle iron bracket spanning the whole length of the mantel piece. Something like this. The back edge of your mantel will rest on the edge. You can mount it in either direction with the mantel sitting in or on top of one leg. You can use multiple "anchors" of any type to hold the unit securely in place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=perf...yxYVBCnuFKyjM:

Old 01-27-20, 12:55 PM
C
Mantle Installation problem solved

I finally figured out how to install my live edge mantle. I installed rebar into the stone, routed grooves into the bottom of the mantle for the rebar, and rested the mantle on the rebar. I made covers for the rebar out of scrap from the mantle piece, and stained everything to suit.

The attached photos illustrate how it worked.

Attached Images        
Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-27-20, 03:37 PM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
Usually the mantle is installed first then the stone is installed around the mantle.

So is the rebar mounted into the studs?

Old 01-27-20, 04:33 PM
T
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
It would be advisable to ensure your mounting system is secured beyond the vaneer into the studs behind if you have not already done so. The vaneer has limited shear strength and someone will eventually put something heavy on the mantel (or hang off it). The finished product looks very swanky.

Old 02-03-20, 05:13 AM
C
This was a retrofit, as the stone veneer is existing. This is why I used the rebar for mounting the mantle. I drilled the holes for the rebar into the mortar between the stones, mainly so I could ensure they were level. There was no reasonable way for me to determine the locations of the studs, so the rebar is not into studs. While this is not ideal, we are aware of the issue of (lack of) strength, so we will need to be careful not to put heavy loads.