Install live edge mantle on uneven stone veneer wall

Old 11-13-19, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install live edge mantle on uneven stone veneer wall

I have a 2" thick live edge board (both front & back edges) that I want to use as a fireplace mantle on an uneven stone veneer wall. The back of the mantle will touch the stone in some (but not all) spots, which is fine. I want to use metal brackets to support the mantle, but am not sure how to mount them, as the stone face is uneven. Should I attach the brackets into the mortar joint or directly into the stone? Directly into the stone is easier, only in that the vertical mortar joints are not in the ideal locations for the brackets. I am also concerned that the screws/anchors will not hold in the mortar. Which is better, into the stone veneer or the mortar joints?

Also, in either case, the brackets will not mount vertically if I bring them directly in contact with the stones, so I think I will need some kind of stand-off posts (shims?) to ensure the brackets are vertical (and the mantle is horizontal).

Suggestions, please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-19, 02:22 PM
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
I would suggest perforated angle iron bracket spanning the whole length of the mantel piece. Something like this. The back edge of your mantel will rest on the edge. You can mount it in either direction with the mantel sitting in or on top of one leg. You can use multiple "anchors" of any type to hold the unit securely in place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=perf...yxYVBCnuFKyjM: