Can't get my gas fireplace to light manually

Old 12-08-19, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can't get my gas fireplace to light manually

I have a desa gas fireplace and it works fine when it's plugged into the wall. I got it to light manually once last year after we bought the house. It I haven't been able to get it to light since. When it's plugged in you hit the remote and it lights right up. It's a natural gas ventless.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-19, 11:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
Please post the model number for that unit.

Old 12-09-19, 04:28 AM
The model number is CGEFP33NRB. I don't have the magnetic handle in the instructions but like I said I have gotten it to light once before without it

Old 12-09-19, 05:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
I would assume the problem has to do with lighting the pilot. It sounds like the magnetic handle is required. Without it the gas is not turned on to the pilot. With most other stoves you turn the dial to the pilot position and push in and hold but with yours it seems the magnetic switch is a child safety device (albeit very annoying since it can be lost) that must be present for the pilot to be lit.

Old 12-09-19, 05:42 PM
I can light the pilot and I let it warm up the thermocouple and let go of the knob and the piliot goes out. I even put a very strong magnet on it. But like I said I got it work before once without the magnet at all

Old 12-09-19, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
That is a first for me...... the magnetic handle. From what I see the magnet just allows the handle to turn the smooth gas valve control. I don't think the magnet is required for the actual valve operation. That means you may have been able to turn the gas valve without the magnetic handle.

There isn't much technical info on that unit but two things come to mind...... a defective thermocouple or a defective ODS (oxy depletion sensor). I've never installed a non vented unit like that so I can't offer you much help on the ODS.

Old 12-10-19, 05:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 270 Posts
If the pilot doesn't stay lit when you stop pressing the knob then I would replace the thermopile/ODS. The heat of the flame causes it to generate a small amount of electricity that holds the gas valve open. When it ages or the flame becomes weak due to reduced oxygen it no longer generates enough electricity to hold the valve open.