Gas Ventless Fire Place Setting off Smoke Detector

Old 05-01-20, 08:39 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gas Ventless Fire Place Setting off Smoke Detector

Our natural gas ventless fire place keeps setting off our smoke detector. What could be causing this?

It's not every time we use it, but many times it does. We just end up having to cut it off to get the smoke detector to stop going off.

We've read that dust could be causing it, but we don't think that's it. We used it yesterday without the smoke detector going off, but today it went off again.

Also, there's a smell associated with it that doesn't smell like natural gas. Any thoughts on what that might be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 05-01-20, 09:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
In the case of anything ventless setting off a detector, I suggest calling a local professional. Regardless of oxygen depleation sensors, these appliances can give off CO & need to be checked for such.

Old 05-01-20, 09:06 AM
D
Would carbon monoxide set off a smoke detector that is strictly a smoke detector?

It might be worth mentioning too, that we have a carbon monoxide detector plugged into the wall right next to the fireplace, and it has never gone off.

Old 05-01-20, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
How old is the smoke detector ?
They can be cleaned with air in a can and should be replaced every ten years.

Old 05-01-20, 10:13 AM
D
I don't know the age of the smoke detector. It was here when we bought the house, and I can tell it's not new. I'll get it cleaned up and try the fireplace again.

Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: