So does this fireplace pilot flame look normal?

Old 09-19-20, 03:41 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So does this fireplace pilot flame look normal?

So I finished reconditioning the steel hearth of my fireplace and proceeded cleaning my pilot assembly with just fine sandpaper and steel wool, taking the white crud off (see my previous post Reconditioning steel fireplace for what it looked like before). After lighting the pilot I have a nice blue flame now, smaller than the larger orange flame I had before. So does this pilot look normal and about the right size? I turned on the fireplace and it gave me a nice flame as well. Also, do I need to put the loose rocks or pebbles back along with those fiberglass looking bits? Do those serve a purpose or can I just go without them and just user the logs? Please let me know before I put everything back together again, just in time for winter. TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-20, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
That pilot flame looks like normal. The orange in the flame is caused by lack of oxygen. Just cleaning out the pilot assembly opened all the air ports back up.

The rocks just add to the ambience.
Same with the bits of fiberglass. Those add sparkle to the flame.

Items sitting in the flame soak up the heat from the burner and add to the thermal mass of the unit.

ngrome voted this post useful.