Gas fireplace: weak pilot light

Old 10-23-20, 12:59 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace: weak pilot light

I have a Heat N Glo gas fireplace. The pilot light doesnít light easily. When it is lit, the flame is too small to hit the thermocouple. The minute I let go of the pilot ignition button, the flame goes out. Iím assuming I have some sort of line blockage. Iíve never messed with gas lines before. Iím surprised by the small size of the line, but I guess thatís all a pilot needs. Iím thinking I could remove this from the switch and try blowing out debris rather than buying a whole new pilot assembly. Is there a trick to this or anything I should be aware of other than turning off the main gas line?

Old 10-24-20, 06:06 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 178 Posts
I think the pilot assembly is your first course of action. They can get gummed up with debris. I have just replaced them in the past as they are about $15 or cheaper. You can probably try blowing it out or cleaning the tip gently. It really just unscrews and the new one (or cleaned one) screws back in. Just be gentle to not kink the tubing.

If that's not the issue, the next step is the gas valve. Some of them can be taken apart and cleaned (though that's beyond my knowledge), or of course replaced. They are a bit more expensive, but other than a bit of gas line work, pretty easy as well.

I'm sure others will be around shortly with more suggestions.

Old 10-24-20, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,514 Votes on 1,400 Posts
It's not going to be a plugged gas line. The problem will be a plugged orifice. It's the tiny hole in a brass fitting directly below the pilot flame. The most common cause of this is a spider crawls into the orifice and builds a nest that blocks the opening. You may be able to blow out but I will usually use a small pin or I have torch tip cleaning wires that are sized that small. A tiny drill bit also works. It's not always the easiest to get to.

Old 10-24-20, 11:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I figured it would be a spider. This thing isnít the easiest to reach. I was hoping there would be a way to blow it out from the wire sized line running to the pilot. Just didnít want to take it apart and risk ruining anything in the process. I also donít want to create a gas leak by messing too much with that small line.

Old 10-25-20, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,514 Votes on 1,400 Posts
You could try blowing it out. You won't hurt anything. The orifice is brass.
A blowgun with the rubber tip may work.

I used to turn mine off in the summer until a spider clogged my pilot. Now it stays on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: