Cannot remove gas fireplace glass front

Old 11-22-20, 04:09 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot remove gas fireplace glass front

Hello, thank you in advance.
I recently purchased my first home, built in 2002, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the glass front of our fireplace. I have tried looking for the manual online, but with no luck (Martin fireplace, Model number BV5500). Everything I can find online says that most glass fronts are removed by unlatching it- but ours does not have latches. The best I can figure is its set by tension? It has something on all 4 corners that are the only thing that appear to be connecting the glass panels to the fireplace. They do not appear to have screws in them, which is why my guess is tension?

I've attached photos, please excuse how dirty this fireplace is, we just bought the home and it was in this shape!

Old 11-22-20, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Bottom photo... can you put both hands under the glass frame (doors closed) and lift up? I imagine it should lift that post out of its hole.

Old 11-22-20, 04:21 PM
S
I did try that, I have slim fingers and they barely fit and it didn't seem to budge.... I might try finding something to create more of a lever and try again. I'm trying to walk the line between being too forceful and being forceful enough considering it may not have been opened in 20 years.... Thank you for the suggestion!

Quick edit to add- the doors don't open at all. they appear to be 4 pieces but the brass tracks along the top and bottom make it so the glass cannot be opened at all.

Last edited by Sierra12; 11-22-20 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-22-20, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator

If yours are one piece and don't open, perhaps you are supposed to grab those 2 handles and pull up to lift both sides up at the same time... try a bit of wd40 down each hole to lube them up.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 11-22-20, 05:58 PM
S
Had to hop back here and thank you- your comment gave me the guts to just go for it and your solution was exactly it! I used a flathead screwdriver as a lever and it came up at the bottom with minimal effort at that point

Old 11-22-20, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good, nice job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: