A few Gas log questions...

Old 11-23-20, 12:25 PM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A few Gas log questions...

I have an existing fireplace in my home with no issues, although I never use it. I would like to install a natural gas log fireplace set. This gas log set is just for ambiance and does not need to do any work actually heating the area. I intend to vent it simply by opening the damper when the gas logs are in use. I don't plan to add any inserts to the chimney, nor do I plan to install a boxed area or frame around the gas logs.

I understand I need to run a 1/2" black pipe down to the basement where the natural gas enters the home. As it turns out, the point at which the natural gas lines enters the home is just below and not far from the fireplace on the first floor making for a short run. (I already use natural gas for furnace and water heater). Ideally, I'd prefer to use the existing cleanout.

A few questions...

I understand a shut off is needed. Can that but put in the basement or must it be on same floor as the gas log fireplace?

I should put a gas rated flexible hose on the line at the point it goes from the main to the black pipe going up to the first floor. It's my understanding I should put a "drip loop" in the flexible line much as I did with my natural gas water heater, right? Is there a good practice suggesting for where to put the shut off, before or after the drip loop?

I spoke to someone on the phone who sells the gas log sets. He said the line should come up into the fireplace on either the left or the right of the gas log set. My cleanout is dead center in the chimney base, but is is about 10" wide, so I could put it a little off center.

Can someone describe just what it should look like at the point of the 1/2" black pipe entering the actual fireplace chamber? Of course code and safety is number one, but I also want it to look as discrete as possible. I imagine most of the piping will not be visible because it will be behind the log set. Even so, what's best practice? Bring the pipe up into a 1/2" elbow (pointing horizontally), then connecting a short flexible line to it in order reach the actual gas log set? Does the set usually come with some sort of short flexible line to connect the black pipe to the set?

I for some reason I can't use the cleanout, I'll come back with another set of questions.

Thanks for your help

Old 11-24-20, 12:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
You're going to have to check local codes. Here where I am you need a Dante type valve at the fireplace. I installed mine in the floor outside of the fireplace for my gas insert. It's there for service as well as safety in case of a problem. It uses a key.

If you're coming up thru the cleanout you won't need a sediment trap. You would use a 90 and a short piece of flex. The insert doesn't come with it.

Dante valve

Old 11-24-20, 03:37 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Had a gas log installed at my Moms last year, they have a valve in the basement where black pipe ends, then flex up into the box where there is a second valve, that is same as my set up, no traps/loops since it's going upward!

Old 11-24-20, 12:28 PM
P
Had a gas log installed at my Moms last year, they have a valve in the basement where black pipe ends, then flex up into the box where there is a second valve, that is same as my set up, no traps/loops since it's going upward!
Marq,

Maybe I don't totally understand the sediment trap or why it's dangerous not to have one in some cases, but of course being in the basement, the pipe is going up, but it comes out horizontally from the outside wall about 3-4' from the floor so it will travel horizontally a few feet before turning up.

My plan is to run rigid black pipe along the block wall over to the cleanout where I'll have to turn up, do a elbow (into the cleanout), travel a foot or two, then elbow up again. No sediment traps needed along the way anywhere?

Maybe I'm confused about your Mom's setup, but (at least locally), I think I'm breaking code if I run flex in the wall or in this case through the cleanout.

Old 11-24-20, 12:33 PM
P
You're going to have to check local codes. Here where I am you need a Dante type valve at the fireplace. I installed mine in the floor outside of the fireplace for my gas insert. It's there for service as well as safety in case of a problem. It uses a key.

If you're coming up thru the cleanout you won't need a sediment trap. You would use a 90 and a short piece of flex. The insert doesn't come with it.
PJ,
Okay, I'll check code. So the Dante valve seems to just be a natural gas rated value that requires a key. Is there anything wrong with keeping the valve open for the season? They don't suggest turning the valve on/off before and after every use of the fire do they? I'm not sure how reliable the gas logs are considered.

Inside the fireplace chamber where the gas logs sit, nothing special for the flex line going from the black pipe elbow to the actual gas log set? Just needs to be rated for natural gas? I'm just wondering if there are any heat tolerance issues that close to the actual gas log unit.

Old 11-24-20, 09:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
Right.... basically just a safety gas shutoff valve that kids can't mess with.

Any flex can be used for a gas insert fireplace. Logs are different.
I see a flex line can be used on gas logs but not if wood is actually burned in the fireplace. If there is any wood burning.... it must be hard piped. For logs.... they make black high heat stainless steel flex lines.

I also see discrepancies among pros in regards to any flex in an open fire place.
Since you'll need an inspection for your gas work.... I'd check with the inspector.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: