Superior B-600CMN Troubleshooting

Old 12-02-20, 09:50 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superior B-600CMN Troubleshooting

I recently moved into a home with an (I assume) original Superior B-600CMN gas fireplace. It has a wall switch and has been working great for the last six months or so. A few days ago, the wall switch stopped working. I went to the manual and started trouble-shooting.

The pilot is functioning. I confirmed continuity in the wall switch. I confirmed continuity in the limit switch. I checked voltage across the TH TP and TP terminals (i.e. thermopile), and it read 325mV, which was what it was supposed to be. I turned the pilot back on and tried the wall switch, and it worked! For about 30 minutes...

I checked the voltage across the TH TP and TP terminals again, and the voltage kept creeping up, first to 400, then 500, then I de-energized everything not knowing what was going on. Is this sequence of events pointing to something obviously wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-20, 06:16 PM
Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts
Hi, when it shuts off after 30 minutes check to see if the limit switch has opened.
what voltage creeps to 400/500 volts?
Also check to be sure the flame sensor stay engulfed by the pilot flame and is not getting sucked away for some reason.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 12-09-20, 11:53 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I meant to say 400-500 mV, which was the voltage on the thermopile after turning fire off. After some more experimenting, I may have gotten it to work. I adjusted the connections on the limit switch, and it's been running for hours no problem with the voltage hovering between 245 and 270 mV.

Old 12-10-20, 12:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Another thread running back to back..... non-working-superior-fireplace.
Lot of diagrams and pictures. Should be visible again tomorrow.

With a millivolt system..... the safeties, thermostat, power switch and connections must all be in good shape. You're working with under 1v so any loss is a problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: