Recessed Electric Linear Fireplace

Old 01-21-21, 05:55 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed Electric Linear Fireplace

Installing a 56 inch electric fireplace this weekend. It is going to be surrounded by a stone veneer that I purchased. (my wall is 2x6)

The fireplace manufacturer gives 2 options for the mounting brackets (partial recess for 2x4 walls and full recess for 2x6 walls).

It seems like the "Full recess" option was designed for those people that are finishing the wall with drywall. The partial recess option does not even seem like a viable option. The part of the fireplace that is supposed to be behind the drywall and invisible is actually exposed in the partial recess option.

My stones stick out almost 3 inches. So I guess I need to use the "Full Recess" option but bring the fireplace out about 2.5 inches (the 1/2 inch this option provides plus the extra 2.5 to get me to 3 for my stone).

I'm assuming I would have to install some extra blocking behind the bracket since it won't sit flush against the wall (2.5 inches).

Has anyone else done something like this before? Am I on the right train of thought here?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-21, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You haven't told us what unit you are installing so all we have to go by are the words "partial recess" and "full recess". I've done fireplace insert installs and you just need to look at the unit you've got and how your finishing around it. If you've got 3" thick stones in a 2x6 wall you should easily be able to have the front of the fireplace flush with your stone veneer.

Old 01-22-21, 05:29 AM
C
Thanks.

It's a Modern Flames Landscape Pro slim series 56.

The unit is about 24 inches high, but the viewable area is only 14 inches. There is about 5 inches on the top and 5 inches on the bottom that is supposed to get covered with drywall to take you up to the drywall stop.

With the "Partial Recess" option, the mounting brackets get attached more towards the rear of the unit. I'm assuming with this option, you cannot even cover the 5 inches that are supposed to be unseen.

The "Full Recess option" allow you to install the brackets flush with the front of the unit. When installed this makes the unit perfectly flush with the wall and would be perfect if you were installing 1/2 inch drywall. But I'm not using drywall. I have stones that are close to 3 inches in depth. So I want to bring the unit out into the floor area an extra 2.5 inches. Now I will have a gap of 2.5 inches though between the mounting bracket and the wall.

This is where I was thinking about putting some kind of wooden blocking.

Not sure if this is a normal thing to do or not though.

Old 01-22-21, 05:58 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, so you have the opening framed out, this insert will fit into that opening and you need to have the front of the fireplace set out 3” for the stone veneer, is that correct? can you post some pics of what you are trying to do, mfg. instructions aren’t all that clear.
Geo🇺🇸

Old 01-22-21, 06:09 AM
C
"you need to have the front of the fireplace set out 3” for the stone veneer, is that correct?"

Yes correct!

Bringing out the fireplace though also brings out the mounting brackets. Now they won't sit flush against the wall.

Old 01-22-21, 08:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
So you need to do what it takes. Provide something for those mounting brackets to attach to. You may have to shim or build out the attachment surface. Or, forgo their mounting tabs and get some metal angle brackets and attach to the side of the fireplace box.

carlg voted this post useful.
Old 01-22-21, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Based on this fireplace being a permanent mount unit..... I'd recommend running a dedicated 20A circuit.

Installation manual
Modern flame 56 specs

Old 01-22-21, 05:02 PM
C
Thought I would try explaining this again with a picture this time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18p_...ew?usp=sharing

See how the profile of the stone sticks out about 2 1/2 - 3 inches? The finished edge of the fireplace only sticks out about 1/2 inch. I didn't cut that stone yet in the picture, but when I do, you will see the exposed cut side when it butts up against the fireplace.

In my previous post I thought I could just bring the fireplace out. But I can't. Because part of the fireplace is visible and exposed when finished and part of the fireplace stays behind the finished wall. So if I do that then I will be bring out the unexposed part also and the rocks would not lay flat then.

My only idea so far is to attach a 1x3 which will be painted around the perimeter of the visible/exposed portion of the fireplace. Kind of like in the next picture.

I can then stone up to the wooden trim piece hiding the cut.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18tb...ew?usp=sharing

This is my best idea so far. Any other ideas are appreciated!

Thanks

Old 01-23-21, 05:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Access is denied to your photo.

Old 01-23-21, 06:02 AM
C
PilotDane,

Thanks for the help. You guys could close this thread now.

I returned the product back to Lowes this morning. I am convinced that this stone just does not work with the fireplace I bought.

I purchase some much thinner shiplap style wood which works perfectly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: