chiminea repair

Old 08-28-21, 11:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chiminea repair

I recently bought a house and the previous owners left a broken chiminea. I would like to try to repair it to make it functional and look nice. Here is the current state of it.

I don't have the piece that has broken off. What is the best way to repair this to make it look good? Sand it down? How do I match the paint work and what paint do I use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Thanks

Old 08-29-21, 03:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would purchase a new one. Clay chiminea a pretty fragile and don't live forever.

Old 08-29-21, 07:31 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new place!

I'm afraid a repair would be dicey: gluing the original pieces back on MIGHT work... if you had them... but the glue would be subject to high temperatures and thermal cycling. A mechanical repair such as screws would be dicey. You might get some clay and press it into place, but that would be subject to thermal cycling too and would likely crack and fall off. Maybe you could use a file and shape the existing ceramic to a more pleasing shape? But that may suddenly crack due to imperfections within the original clay.

Pilot Dane's replacement advice may be the way to go. Maybe use this one for a while to see how you like it? You may find a portable fire pit capable of holding bigger logs more to your liking.

Good luck with it!

Old 08-29-21, 10:56 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I was going to get a replacement but then thought if I could do something with this one I should. I just lack the knowledge. Turns out I probably can't. Worth asking just incase. Most likely I'll buy a new one

Thanks again

Old 09-05-21, 05:49 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Chiminea

I agree - clay chimineas don't last long. I replaced mine with a steel/cast iron model - available over the internet. Good luck.

Old 09-05-21, 05:50 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Chiminea

duplicate deleted.

Old 09-05-21, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Someone experienced with a 4 1/2" grinder could put a different profile on the broken edge.
If not it would make sense to replace it as suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: