After market wood stove

Old 08-06-22, 08:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question After market wood stove

Hi Everyone,
I am looking into recommissioning the chimney. I contacted a number of HETAS installers but for them installing an after market stove is out of the question.
This alone adds about 700 on top of the bill.
I see a good quality wood stoves people want to get rid off.
Do I understand it correctly that these used stoves even 4 years old stoves supposed to end up at the junkyard? To me this is a bad economy. People in this country change places every couple of years many refurbish their places like every so often including installing and decommissioning the fireplace. These stoves are designed to last a lot lot longer than people change their minds.
Why I cannot get a decent 7 years old cast iron stove that was worth 1500 installed? To me this HETAS certification business is just another scheme to push new stuff onto the market so our inflated economy is blooming but my pocket says otherwise.
I am talking about a wood stove that is no more than 5kW in heat output and are not used as a main heat source.,
I come across some guy on the Internet who saved about 50% on the stove by finding an ex-demo unit. But it is rare to find these. I can get a much better quality after market stove for the same amount of money.

Old 08-06-22, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,967 Votes on 2,677 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

Not sure I can answer your questions. This is primarily a North American based site.
I have never heard of a wood stove not being able to be resold/reused after 4 years.
That may be something just in your area.

MattDaymon voted this post useful.
Old 08-06-22, 10:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi, thank you for warm welcome
I know that in the UK the other option is to do it yourself or find an "agnostic" installer but then I have to be visited twice by the building inspection for them to see the materials used to adapt the chimney for the stove, see the flue liner etc. then another visit to sign off the finished work.

Old 08-06-22, 10:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 680 Votes on 601 Posts
I bought my wood stove new about 25 yrs ago and it's safe and works fine. At one time it was my primary heat source.
I have a very old stove in my shop that I got used about 30 yrs ago. It works well although it's not as efficient as the one in the house.

As long as there aren't any rust holes it should be ok. If the door gasket is bad it can be replaced. But as Pete stated, your local regs could be a lot different.

MattDaymon voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: