Should or can we move thimble on block chimney?

Old 09-15-22, 03:22 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should or can we move thimble on block chimney?

<duplicate post>
The basement woodstove has three 90 degree angles to create the vent into the side of the block chimney. Is there a reason for this? It has proper spacing from walls where it sits. It would not be proper with code to move the stove. Could we cut the chimney and vent it directly behind the stove? We are not experienced in masonry.

We bought this house when we retired 3 months ago, but now we are mostly just tired. It was built in late 70's and needs a lot of updating just to get clean.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ID farmhouse; 09-15-22 at 03:33 AM. Reason: POST IS DUPLICATE
Old 09-15-22, 03:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Moving the thimble would be a huge task if even feasible. The thimble is connected to a clay flue liner inside of the chimney. Is it possible orient the stove so there are less bends in the pipe to the chimney?
Could you post a couple of pics of the current set up?

ID farmhouse voted this post useful.
Old 09-15-22, 03:50 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I am not able to get pic at this time. Orienting the stove to the left is not an option as the wall for the stairwell would be in the 36 inch spacing. The chimney inspector advised to get double wall pipe and did not comment about the configuration. Probably, like you stated, not really feasible.
Your attention is much appreciated.

Old 09-15-22, 05:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
Not all stoves exhaust the same way - maybe a different stove ??
When I bought my place 31 yrs ago the chimney was in the wrong place [required 3 elbows] so it didn't draw as good as it should. I moved the chimney around the corner and it works great now. But the chimney is only 12'-14' tall and I was young, hate to do that much work today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: