Quadra fire wood insert baffle- baffled..

Old 09-27-22, 05:31 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadra fire wood insert baffle- baffled..

The baffle on my quadrafire insert is thick metal, but melted through in the middle. Im trying to replace it but after removing the air rails, the and trying every angle to remove the baffle it won't come out. Including pictures. Is this one not meant to be removed/ replaced? Was going to replace with ceramic board or similar modem baffle material. Can i just wedge that underneath this if i can't get it out?

Old 09-27-22, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,169 Likes on 2,846 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is that the back of an insert box ?
Typically the insert is installed into an already built fireplace which means it should come out.
Having a hard time picturing it.

A picture from further away would be helpful too.

Old 09-28-22, 04:18 PM
J
That is the baffle, above the air tubes (not the right name I'm sure, hollow tubes with many holes) below where you would install the baffle blanket, and the hole out from the stove to the chimney. In other words the photos are from the inside of the stove looking straight up. It slows the air flow directly up and out and keeps the stove hotter. AKA a throat plate I believe. This one has burnt through over time. This baffle is 1/8" thick metal. Im guessing, same cast material as the body of the stove. It has melted through.

Typically newer stoves seem to have a ceramic board up there that can be lifted up and out, and a new one slid in when it fails. Most metal ones, usually you just tilt up one side as high as you can to the top of the inside of the stove and slide to the side, and the other end can be dropped down before you maneuver it out.

I can't get this one out. It is an old stove, no model number left in sight, I bought it used and installed it a few years ago there was no longer a plate on the back with model etc.. So I can't tell if this is a old design where you aren't meant to replace it, or if its just stuck due to warping and maybe I can cut it out. Or, if I might be able to McGeyver something by placing a ceramic board above the hole along with the baffle blanket to serve the same purpose.

The first picture shows, with the right hand side pushed up and over to the right as far as I can move it, the left hand side almost making it past the metal box that the air tubes slide in to. All of the air tubes removed. It nearly makes it out but not quite.

Old 09-29-22, 05:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
If you can't get the piece out maybe it was installed before they welded the top on the stove. You can consider leaving your plate in place and welding or bolting another plate to it. A metal or welding shop can cut a piece of steel to the size you need. If you have a welder that would be easiest to attach it but you can also drill and use bolts. Just make sure you position them so you can hold a nut on the back side.

You could also drill and tap your back plate so you don't have to worry about nuts on the back. This would limit you to 1/4" or maybe 5/16" bolts. If that's the case I'd only attach with two or three bolts sorta closely spaced along the top center leaving the rest of the sheet to be free. This will minimize the sheering forces on the bolts when the steel plate goes through hot/cold cycles.

Old 09-29-22, 10:21 AM
J
Thanks, that is a solid idea. I'm considering just laying a peice over the top for now, not a permanent fix but might get me through part of the season until I can arrange something more permanent. I have enough space aboce to fit that and a baffle blanket I think. Hopefully gravit will be sufficient to hold it in place for the most part.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: