Liner Choice

Old 07-08-01, 12:42 PM
george703
Visiting Guest
Hello everyone. I have a short chimney, with a slight jog in it that needs relining. It is made of stuccoed block and the old lining has broken away. Is a stainless liner or a poured one a better bet? The poured guy claims it will add needed strucutral integrity to the chimney, but, of course, it's more expensive. I know they pour some kind of mix around the stainless liner, does it help at all with hardening the structure? I'd appreciate any input on the choice between the two types. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-01, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I'm no chimney expert by any means, but I've seen both types installed on This Old House-type TV shows.
The poured type that I saw had an inflated tubular bladder that created the flue and they poured concrete around it. I guess some might pour around a stainless steel liner. I think that it would definitely add structural strength.
The other type is a stainless steel flue that just fits down inside the old chimney to draft the heat and smoke out the top.
Both are expensive (but probably less than tearing down the old and building a new chimney), and it would be your call, depending upon the condition of your existing chimney.
Good Luck!