Low blue flame on new napoleon b36 gas fireplace

Old 03-09-23, 09:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low blue flame on new napoleon b36 gas fireplace

Hello, I've been doing some research on some cases of low flames on gas fireplaces and these forums seem to have some helpful thoughts I was hoping I could get some help. My family just moved into our new construction house and we were messing around with the gas direct vent fireplace. The fireplace seems to have a very low flame that has alot of blue flame in it. I messed with turning the flame height adjustment knob to full height and lowest height. While it does change the height of the flames, it is not very much and barely noticeable. It does seem to have pretty active flames. After a few minutes of running, it shows a little orange flame but mainly just the tips of the flames. The make is napoleon and model is b36ntr-1 Ascent. I called and talked to the place the fireplace was bought and was told these units do have smaller flames. The flames we are getting don't even come up higher than the log set and doesn't even look like the fireplace is lit. Any help or things I could do or try would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-10-23, 05:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You did not say if your logs are propane or natural gas. I would check/confirm that the gas logs were completely configured for your gas. Maybe it has the wrong size orifice or the regulator is set for the wrong fuel.

Old 03-10-23, 07:48 AM
D
It is Natural Gas

Old 03-11-23, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The specs say comes setup for natural gas and is convertible to propane.
The main gas pressure and air shutter (venturi) still need to be checked/set.

You'd need a manometer to check the gas pressure but you could visually check the venturi/ air shutter adjustment.

Napoleon b36ntr-1 ascent manual -pdf

Old 03-11-23, 07:00 PM
D
Pjmax thanks for the reply. I just got a manometer today. I checked the inlet pressure and my reading was 15.4mb spec shows max 17.4mb minimum 11.2mb so that checks out okay. I checked the outlet on high setting. It was reading 8.6mb. Spec shows 8.7mb so it's pretty spot on for gas pressures. I also checked the air shutter adjustment. The collar was about 1/4" open. So is that okay? Live in Indiana so no high altitude to worry about. I also noticed today that the flames are very active like it's getting a draft from the exhaust possibly. I pulled the front glass off and I could feel like a draft coming in from the exhaust exit out the back of the box. What could I do to fix this? When it was installed, the installer gave me the book and in the package was a metal plate. After reading some of the papers in the package, I guess it is some type of restriction plate for the exhaust. Would this help? They is also a rectangular hole inside the box toward the bottom that also seems to have a cold of cooler outside (drafty) air coming in from there.

Old 03-11-23, 07:56 PM
D
Also some of the flames towards the front of the burner are barely coming thru the burner plate

Old 12-02-23, 07:14 AM
M
Exact issue

Hello,
I was wondering if you got it figured out? I am have the exact same issue with the same model.

Old 12-03-23, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A very common problem with gas fireplaces is a partially clogged orifice.
Spiders crawl in and build nests.
When the gas is turned on the web gets stuck across the opening restricting it.

It's not easy to get to but the burner needs to be removed as it slips on over the orifice.
Then the tiny orifice hole needs to be cleaned.

I clean mine every year just before heating season starts.

Old 12-07-23, 07:41 AM
M
Burner

Ok good to know. I’ll try to clean it out and see if that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: